1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with creating a via 'Network Setup Wizard'

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wizzle2003, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizzle2003

wizzle2003 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm trying to setup a simple Network for 2 Laptops so they can share files or folders. I have done the same thing already at home and everything worked without any problems.

Now I'm trying to setup a network (also via 'Network Setup Wizard) at work (also 2 Laptops) and it doesn't work out at all, even though the wizard and the adding of the second laptop to the network, worked and finished without problems.
    It shows the 2 computers (names) under 'Entire Network' but always when i want to accesss the "shared Docs" folder, I get the error message:
    -----------
    "Winbook is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource . Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access denied."
    -----------
    OS: WinXP Home SP1 and the other one runs WinXP Prof 2002 (shows no service packs when checking the device manager under the "General" tab)

Both Laptops connect via router to the internet and the router connects via ethernet (wall outlet)

I'm the administrator on both laptops and therefor should have the permissions anyway. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or forgot to consider.

Can anyone help me out here or give me a few pointers?

btw: is it possible to share a printer via the network (once its up and running) so both laptops can print via the same printer or do i need a print server. (if so, is there a way around it or would a i have to purchase a print server to get it working, no matter what)?

Thanks
    wizzle2003

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you can share (most) printers. The following may help determine your problem. If the first ping test fails it almost always means you have a 3rd party firewall on the pinged computer blocking access.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice