problems with defrag + scandisk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mercurydust

basically my hard drive is a little messed up from a year or so of not really looking after it, recently been trying to fix things and get rid of all the spyware and random crap. i'm running win98 and in desperate need of a defragmentation and need to use scandisk, but every time i try either they restart over and over, as though something is writing to the disk. i've tried closing everything but 'explorer' using ctrl+alt+del, yet they still keep restarting! even working offline this happens, so it cant even be someone accessing my disk remotely. what is wrong? anyone? :eek: raaah! :eek:

help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Run in DOS. Boot from Windows 98 boot floppy and at the C prompt type defrag C or scandisk.exe whichever you want probably scandisk first.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Could be a little tough since Defrag doesn't (and shouldn't) run from DOS.

A better way is to do this all in Safe mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online