1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with Domain controllers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ALpHaMoNk, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALpHaMoNk

ALpHaMoNk Thread Starter

greets,

I have an older 2000 server which is a domain controller, I can not for the life of me figure out how to demote the machine so i can rejoin it to a new domain. I do not need two domain controllers in this network.

any ideas on how to? i already tried start>run>dcpromo

I decided to post here since i didn't see a section for server 2000. thanks

2. avisitor

avisitor

3. ALpHaMoNk

ALpHaMoNk Thread Starter

thanks for the link, it is very useful but it doesn't seem to cover removing a domain controller only demoting. Right now it on a different domain, i would like to remove the role of DC and allow it to join the other domain.

As for needing more than one DC, it is OK for my line of work since we only deal with small to medium size business, 200 or less users. but you are right in a corporate environment more than one DC would definitely be needed.

4. avisitor

avisitor

Remember, when those 200 users can't logon/access resources because the DC goes down, that's a lot of lost money. [Removed; looking back on this, it's not relevant/appropriate]

That all said: you demote the DC then rename it, join the new domain, promote it, and it's moved.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you know users aren't going to be accessing the system, you simply plan an outage. This and the costs are things the system administrator is likely to know far more about than anyone here.

6. avisitor

avisitor

I'll give you that... Mostly, I'm ranting. Sorry if it came off harshly. I just had a major outage that seriously cost the company in lost productivity because the both DCs and some other network equipment failed simultaneously because the AC failed and it all overheated. I've retracted my earlier comments.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice