1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with embedded video files and video files

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by smooth, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Hey everybody :D

I'm having some issues with .wmv files on our website here.

On my computer, I can view all of them, no problems. Some of the files were recorded using GoToMeeting, and require a codec for GoToMeeting to play correctly. I have a link on the site for installing it. On my computer, after installing this codec, all the video files play perfectly.

The problem is with other computers. I went to one of my co-workers computers, installed the codec, and even the latest version of Windows Media Player. I tried playing the same file, and get an error that I am unable to play the file. When I go to web help, it says there is no help for the current error.

The same thing happens with files that I have embedded into a page. I can view them perfectly on my computer, but not on my coworkers computer. The player will come up, and just sit there saying "Ready", instead of playing it. When I click the play button, it says "Connecting to media" briefly, and then goes back to Ready, without playing the file.

It's really getting frustrating, and I need a way to where when I have the files on the site, I can put up steps to follow so that if it happens, the people viewing can check for these things to fix it.

2. covert215

covert215 Banned

Is the file uploaded to the server or is it looking for the file locally?

3. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    It's on our web host's server.

4. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    Here is the code for the embedded player:

Code:
    <OBJECT classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112"
    type="application/x-oleobject" name="MediaPlayer" WIDTH=320 HEIGHT=260
    standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..." ID="MediaPlayer" style="position:absolute; left:0;top:0;">
        <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="video_files/the_attitude_behind_the_presentation_7_28_06.wmv">
    	<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="1">
        <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="1">
        <PARAM NAME="ShowDisplay" VALUE="0">
        <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="1">
        <PARAM NAME="AutoSize" VALUE="1">
        <Embed
            src="video_files/the_attitude_behind_the_presentation_7_28_06.wmv"
            width=320
            height=260
    		AutoStart=1 type="application/x-mplayer2"
            pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9194bb10-00ea-4500-859d-9a319738d4d8&amp;DisplayLang=en/"
            filename="video_files/the_attitude_behind_the_presentation_7_28_06.wmv"
            ShowControls=1
            ShowDisplay=0
            ShowStatusBar=1 name="MediaPlayer">
        </embed>
    </OBJECT>
    And the other problem is with just direct links to the wmv files themselves.

5. covert215

covert215 Banned

It is not proper XHTML but I don't think thats is the problem.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

If you have a direct link to the file it should open WMP, buffer and begin playing. If the codec is not present WMP should download and install even if they using all the way back to version 7.1 .

Essentially if it's a WMV file there should be no trouble whatsoever for anyone to play it from a direct link unless they are using a non-windows machine that is incapable of playing WMV or are on a machine that won't allow the auto installation of the codec in the event they using an older version of WMP and don't have the current ones installed.

In other words any machine running WMP 7.1 and up should work...

My guess is that your problem lies here... DRM protection possibly? Do you have a link to the information pertaining to this?

7. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I installed the codec on the computer that was having trouble, and it still wouldn't play it, even with a direct link. I'm not sure why WMP seems to do this some times with files.

I don't have a direct link, since the file is actually on a site you have to login to view it. Would it matter that when I put the link, that the target is "_blank"? I have this for all media files, since I don't want it to direct the person to a different page, but instead just open it up.

This code is on all WMV files, and some WMV files work, while others don't. Here is the code for a direct link to a media file:

Code:
    <td id="tableContent"><a href="by_company/americo/americo_video/americo_homemortgage_series.wmv" target="_blank">Americo HomeMortgage Series</a></td>

8. namenotfound

namenotfound

all that crap like "codebase" and "classid" isn't needed. And <embed> isn't needed at all.

I removed those three things, and added the "data" attribute and changed "filename" to "movie" in the "name" attribute for one of the <param>'s

And I put quotes around the values for width and height, cause you forgot to do that.

Tell me if this works

Code:
    <object type="application/x-oleobject" name="mediaplayer" width="320" height="260"
    standby="loading microsoft windows media player components..." id="mediaplayer" style="position:absolute; left:0;top:0;" data="video_files/the_attitude_behind_the_presentation_7_28_06.wmv">
        <param name="movie" value="video_files/the_attitude_behind_the_presentation_7_28_06.wmv">
    	<param name="autostart" value="1">
        <param name="showcontrols" value="1">
        <param name="showdisplay" value="0">
        <param name="showstatusbar" value="1">
        <param name="autosize" value="1">
    </object>

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

What codec? If you're running the latest version of WMP you should not have to install anything.

Do you have different sources for the files?

Sure you're not getting bitten by a firewall or the server restricting access... if you have a direct link to a file and WMP installed it should work. Try right clicking the file and select save target as .

you don't need that as the palyer opens seperately but it certainly isn't going to do any harm either.

10. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I figured embed was there for firefox? I just have it because of always having seen adding the <embed> tag. I'm not completely sure on that though.

No, the files are all on the same web host server, and for that page, in the same folder within the website.

It must have to do with the individual pages themselves. I'm wondering what it is that is knocking them from viewing the files with WMP. It is weird that on those computers, they come up with an error. I can sweep the computer for spyware and viruses, and then maybe check to make sure the file types are maybe set correctly.

11. covert215

covert215 Banned

Mess around with the permissions of your files.

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

Actually the code namenotfound posted doesn't work in IE, there's a lot of ways to place a media player in a pge.... I think the type attribute has to be video or something like that for it work that way....

Back to the direct link..... if your files don't play from a direct link they certainly are not going to play if you put them in a page. Again, try right clicking the direct link and select "save target as" If it works download the file and try to play it from HDD...

And again what codec are you installing.... As I said (probably twice) if you have the latest version of WMP installed you should not have to install anything to play a WMV file.

13. smooth

smooth Thread Starter

First Name:
    Garrett
    I'll try the downloading the file directly.

Sorry for missing the question there. I was talking about the GoToMeeting codec that we have to install for the videos that were created using them. We shouldn't have to have them for the other videos though, since they were not created using GoToMeeting, they are just videos.

If I can download it to the HDD, and then play it correctly from there, what would be the problem with the file online?

14. namenotfound

namenotfound

No that is completly incorrect. The so-called "resource sites" that say some browsers only support <object> and others only support <embed> are full of crap (this includes w3schools that also claims this).

Use the method I posted above, I kept most of what you had, just changed a few things.

I've developed a method that works in all browsers, years before anyone else thought about it. What ticks me off is that other sites (such as "A List Apart" which probably just found my pages and copied the source) claims they first came up with it, but they didn't.

15. namenotfound

namenotfound

Oh no? Please have a look at this in IE and you'll see it does ;)

http://ninty.xenweb.net/golf/

I was just trying to keep the code as much the same as he had it. But you'll see you only need very little code to make it work. <embed> is NOT needed. And I never post stuff unless I'm 100% sure what I say will actually work.

Eat your words ;) It does work!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!