Solved Problems with Firefox Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

orangeCat1

I have had recent discussion on different topic with PeterOz on this forum. This is new issue but relates to same laptop (Lenovo z710 win 10 20H2). I have moved most materials to a new Dell laptop. While doing some movement of an O365 account to the new computer, I noticed that the Firefox browser had quit offering links or would not fetch a link or search. Earlier, I did load latest Firefox on the Dell and did copy Logins and Passwords from Lenovo to it. Up until I noticed an issue, Firefox was working fine and has been for a long time.

With the Lenovo I have tried the Refresh option but I then had no Home setting and no bookmarks etc. I reviewed some youtubes and articles to remove Firefox and try to do a new install. The process is different at this point - there is an installer download and once downloaded it is executed. So far so good, but partway through I received msg that VCRuntime140_1.dll couldn't be found. ( others have had the error) Mozilla says to retry the install. I have several times. It does install something -I have the log. But it doesn't provide much --it doesn't present a pinned link, no options, see png below. If put the cursor in the location area and click- it does nothing.
FirefoxIssue.png

I have attached the install log as well.

You may wonder what I did re browser. Well I always have 2 or more installed just in case there's an issue. I was able to install Edge (96.0.1054) and chrome(96.0.4664) without issue on the Lenovo. I want Firefox because I always have used Firefox and I can reinstall my bookmarks there.

A little long winded but I wanted to provide context.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

orangeCat1

Yes I tried the reinstall first and it carried through to the end. On a couple of install attempts I got the VCRuntime140_1.dll message, but on many others it just runs till it quits. There are 4 instances of VCRuntime140_1.dll on the laptop and many more of VCRuntime140.dll. I also notice that VCRUNTIME140.dll is in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox after it has finished. ????

It isn't failing with an error message of any kind. The png I posted is what it ends with.

Thanks for responding.

orangeCat1

I copied vcruntime140_1.dll to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and tried the install again. Same result as far as the Firefox screen and options.
If I click on upper right hand menu and help, then about Firefox it shows that
Firefox Browser 94.0.2 is up to date. And there are both vcruntime140.dll and
vcruntime140_1.dll in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\.

There does not appear to be any issues on the install.log. Just does not go to any link, no home icon....

UPDATE: I clicked something and got to troubleshooting. I got a page or 2 of detailed info about my system, network.... and managed to get a link to google.com. Then did a few more links youtube etc and it is working. I have now copied(sync) my bookmarks, logins and passwords.
I honestly don't know what caused the change, but it is working at the moment.

Thanks again for listening and responding.(y)

Last edited:

managed

Allan
You're welcome, I'm glad you fixed it (even if you don't know how). (y)

If/When you're sure it's fixed please click on [Mark Solved] at the top-left of your page.

orangeCat1

Thanks Allan. I wished I had a fact to leave for others, but it failed repeatedly about 10 attempts; then eureka!
Marked solved.:unsure:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online