1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with formatting cells in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mscareall, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mscareall

mscareall Thread Starter

Just a short question for you guys. When using Excel 2000, if I enter a number lets just say 11-30 it defaults to Nov 30, or some date form. But I need it to say 11-30, I try to set the defualt as Number and also have tried General, click "ok" but it still puts in the date anyway.

Is there a way around this??? This drives me nuts, I usually end up coping and pasting, but try to explain this to a person who doesn't even want to touch a computer.

Thanks

Shirley

2. mscareall

mscareall Thread Starter

ok, I figure this one out quickly myself.

If you make it a text format, then you can type the numbers no problem.

Thanks, I guess sometimes I just need to sit down and write what I am thinking.

Shirley

3. tCoop61

tCoop61

Putting a single quote ( ' ) in front of your numbers as you enter them (i.e. '11-30 ) will make them behave as text. Note that this will then make using that data in a formula difficult.

Hope this helps.

4. tCoop61

tCoop61

Or, that works too!

5. mscareall

mscareall Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I will remember that one for next time I use Excel. I just have to tell the lady who prompted me to post to just use the format cell way. She is the type that can't turn on a computer, so I don't even want to try to explain to her that a ' will make it all right. :D

Thanks again

Shirley

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice