1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with frequent FPS drops in games

Discussion in 'Games' started by babyshinsen, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babyshinsen

babyshinsen Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having problems with my FPS in games. This does not apply to only new, hardware demanding games, but to all games I play. Quake 3, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike and the list goes on. I can start playing a game, any game, and after a while it starts... FPS starts dropping from, lets say 80-10 and goes back up to normal with about 5-10 seconds break. It gets more frequently the longer I play and after a while it's about 3-6 seconds break. I have already sent my computer to be overlooked by support and I've got it back with no change... It's really strange cause I don't have to play a new top GFX game to get these drops. I mean come on, Quake 3 ffs... Even with low settings, and my system is not that crappy afaik. Anyway I'm hoping someone can help me deal with this crap cause it's getting old after 2 support sendaways and by the way they did swap my Graphic card from RADEON 9800XT to RADEON x1650 Series so I even got a better one and still drops (maybe even more so now with the new one).

Please...Help...Someone!!!:(

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT
    DirectX 9.0c
    GFX: Radeon X1650 Series 264MB (ATI 7.9 Driver Only)
    Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio (5.1 Surround)
    Memory: 1,5 GB RAM DDR (2x 512MB 400MHz + 2x 256MB 400MHz)
    HD: 2x 250GB WDC WD2500PD-07FZB1
    Motherboard: FUJITSU SIEMENS D1627-C

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Hmm, a few guesses.

Heat?
    Power supply?
    Do you often defrag your hard drive?
    Do you have background programs running? Such as an anti-virus or spyware scanner?
    Wondering about the RAM, not sure it's the issue but... You could try removing the 2 X 256MB and just try games with the 2X 512MB...

Seemed to get worse with a new vid card... That may point to power supply. That's only a guess though. Maybe you can see on the PSU what it's rated for.

3. babyshinsen

Hey Super-D, my temps are fine with CPU on around 36C, GPU 70C and HDDs around 50C.
    My Power supply is unknown atm (Cant seem to find any lable on it or anything that can identify it) but the tech guys where is sent my comp said it was standard issue and it should work just fine. Though this PSU is not the default one that came with the computer (it broke down and I had to replace it). I have defraged the HDDs and I have a very low-profile Anti-virus "Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0". Concerning the RAM I would rather not try to jank them out since they are in deep and I personally dont see why they should affect the FPS as they are well over 1gb and like i mentioned before it's dropping in Quake 3 where 512 mb ram would do just fine. I will get the PSU tomorrow or the day after hope it will resolve this issue. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help anyway man I appreciate it.

4. Cloud1833

Cloud1833

I think what Super -D- 38 Was suggesting was that maybe one of the Ram Sticks or the two new ones you put in might not be in securly or might be bad ram and to check it out. because ram messing up can cause a whole slew of problems even windows shutting down or going to those blue screens or any thing and your game when being played is put to what??? Ram. I think he was just suggesting to check your ram out too.

God BLess.

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yup.. just trouble shooting.
    Mixed RAM can cause conflicts. Just a way of looking at all causes. :D

Any other scanners? archivers? ... uh... Instant messenger... anything running can slow down a game.

:D "Standard Issue" he he.. well... OK. Most gamers will often upgrade their PSU as most "standard" don't cut it. I see you have quite a few devices there too.
    2 hard drives, a high powered CPU, Video Card, and any CD/DVD drives.. They all want a slice of power.. :)

Anyway, those are just some guesses. There can be software issues. Drivers can have trouble. Even new ones.

I'll keep thinking on it, and maybe someone else can offer more help.

6. babyshinsen

Well I have had RAM problems before with another computer and it did not affect FPS or anything like this but rather like you said Cloud, blue screens, random shutdowns and crap like that. I doubt this is cause of RAM. Unless you guys are really sure I'd rather not do that.

I've tried newest, oldest drivers I've tried em all with no luck. I don't have many programs running in the background, just basic like MSN, Anti-virus, winamp and steam.

Thanks again. Any other ideas.

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

OK, we can continue with programs idea then...
    Try closing steam, MSN, Winamp and your AV.
    Closing them one at a time may point to one that's a cause.

Personally, I don't have much that will auto start when windows does. That's just me though. :D

8. babyshinsen

No change after minimizing processes and startup items. Still getting the drops. Got the same tip from a lot of people that they think it's a PSU problem or heat related. Any ideas concerning this?

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm. You haven't found a watt rating on the PSU yet?
    I'm guessing "standard issue" would be around 250W... Most gamers would say thats too low.
    (Mines 530W)

Also, if the original PSU died.. I wonder if it affected the motherboard or any other hardware.
    Heat?... It will cause your system to slow down as it tries to protect itself from a meltdown. :D
    You can try leaving the side cover off your computer, and using a small household fan to blow cool air in while you play. See if any change or if the problem takes longer to manifest.

10. christarp

christarp

Those temps seem a little high for a video card like that, are you getting any artifacting? like random blocks of stuff show on screen for a couple seconds?

11. babyshinsen

the PSU was a 250W and the +12V value was 13.0A

12. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

To me, 250W seems quite low for what you have in your system. However I'm not qualified enough to call that as fact.
    I have been told, and read a number of threads that would recommend 400W or more for a game system.

13. babyshinsen

Yeah I got the new one now on 500W and the FPS drops still there... I'm starting to loose it!!! I'm posting on 6 different active forums about this and gotten tons of help but nothing that fixed it. If this turns out to be a freaking virus or something like that crap I'm stabbing myself in the eye... Any ideas are welcome ofc

14. blamkiller2

blamkiller2

u planning on getting a new video card if you do pm me or email me here or post here agen i know one thats really great but costs alot of money but is worth it

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

well.. I too am losing it. :D
    Would hate to have you reformat to find out it's hardware.. But the same time, would hate to buy hardware and it be a virus or software issue.

Got a really big hammer? :D :p
    That will "fix" most computer problems.. :rolleyes:

other free things to try would be pulling RAM to see if there is a problem there.
    maybe double checking your BIOS settings, for the RAM and video card.
    (If your not comfortable in the BIOS then don't go there.) Change the wrong thing there and bad stuff can happen :eek:

I'm at a loss.. My hunch is still software.. But... No idea what it could be.
    Maybe posting a "hijack this" log for someone to look over in security.
    They can recommend what doesn't need to be there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/626512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice