1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Geforce4 Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hoenikker, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hoenikker

Hoenikker Thread Starter

Hey, I'm having trouble with my Geforce4 MX 440 w/ AGP8X driver. I have had the card since last August or so and everything ran well with it up until now. I just upgraded my OS from Windows Me to Windows XP Home. I had my HDD formatted and then I installed XP. After I got XP set up, I downloaded the newest driver from Nvidia's site. During installation, my screen blacked out a few times, but I'm sure that's normal. Once the driver was finished with installation, I rebooted as I was supposed to. After the logo screen, the screen went blank. I pressed some things on the keyboard and such and I heard the default sound when logging on a user. This tells me that my computer is working fine but the video card is not. I reset and ran the computer in VGA mode and I noticed something in my taskbar stating that my computer was running in a very low resolution. I clicked on it to fix it as it told me to, but my computer reset itself. Before it reset, though, it flashed a blue background with a bunch of white text. This wasn't the same kind of text nor format as a BSOD, though. Any ways, I reboot my computer in VGA mode once again and I noticed that little thing in the tray again. I didn't click it this time. Instead, I right clicked my desktop and went to properties. When I went to the rightmost tab (Settings), my computer did the same thing as before; it flashed some blue screen and reset. The third time I loaded my computer in safe mode and I uninstalled my card and reset. After that, everything was working fine and so I reinstalled the card with the same driver as before. I reset and I got the same blank screen. I've uninstalled the card numerous times now and tried many different drivers from Nvidia's site. I tried the one that came with my card, too, and so far none of them have worked. On one reboot I got a message that said "Send Error Report" for my driver, which I did. I went to Windows Update and got every update that was available, even ones I didn't need. Any ways, I'll try to give my specs as best I can:

Windows XP Home
    Intel Celeron 766 MHz
    192 MB SDRAM
    GeForce4 MX 440 with APG8X 64MB DDR PCI
    20 GB HDD (unsure of manufacturer)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver from add / remove programs. Older cards often do not work well with the newest drivers. I would download one of the archive drivers from the low 40's series and try that. Make sure it is a MS certified driver; some are and some are not. I have found that with nvidia gf2 work best with drivers in the 20's series, gf3 with 30's series drivers, etc.

3. Hoenikker

Hoenikker Thread Starter

Okay, I did what you said, and for the most part, everything turned out very well! I first downloaded the 40.72 driver, but this didn't work. I didn't delete the driver files once I uninstalled my hardware, though. I then downloaded driver 30.82. I did setup, reboot, and things seemed to work. However, it asked me to set it up again. I chose to use the driver in the 30.82 directory, and it began installing. About half way through, though, it couldn't find a certain few files. I chose browse and noticed that the 40.72 directory had these files. Although I probably shouldn't have, I continued my installation from there. Again, some files couldn't be found, so I looked back in the 30.82 directory, but it didn't have what I needed. I checked the CD that came with the card and sure enough it had the rest of the files I needed. After everything was installed, I reset and I was able to see everything almost perfectly. The only things that were wrong and are still wrong is that I get a pink stripe on the user screen and when I log onto a user there is pink spotting on one of my icons. However, the pink spots go away within a second or so, and when I log off of the user and go back to the user screen, everything looks the way it should. This isn't a matter I really care to pursue any further, so I must say that I am very satisfied. Thank you very much for your help!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The problem now is that you have a hodge-podge of old and new driver files. For best results, you need to get rid of all the drivers files and install just one. This is a common problem on upgrades since the 98/ME drivers do not work at all with the NT kernel but some have the same names as driver files intended for the NT family.

Remove all the NVidia drivers from Device Manager. Search for and delete any folders with NVidia in their name. Manually empty all possible temp files where the driver installation was unpacked and all the files were mixed together.

Once you are satisfied that you have removed every possible NVidia file, install your chosen driver.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work. I use an app called driver cleaner. It works with both ati and nvidia drivers; driver cleaner removes all traces of the old driver. If you want to completely uninstall the old driver, do a search for driver cleaner. It is a free app and one I find useful.

The way you use this is to first use the uninstall feature of the driver [if it has one] then run driver cleaner. It will delete a few more files; restart and install your new driver.

6. Hoenikker

Hoenikker Thread Starter

Well, I tried what you told me to do. I'm sorry to say that it didn't work. After I got rid of all of the driver stuff from previous installations and such, I tried 40.72. This gave me the blank screen, so I got rid of it completely and tried 30.82. This time, after I did setup and reboot, it didn't recognize my card. I checked the list to see what it supported and my card wasn't on there. After completely clearing this one out, I downloaded two more drivers and I tried the one that came with the card. I'm not sure what the driver numbers were but it doesn't matter because none of these three worked. I decided to just go back with what worked, which was installing the 40.72 files but using the 30.82 setup, then when it came time to setup new hardware, I chose to specify location. 30.82 was in a folder named NVIDIA and 40.72 was in a subfolder of NVIDIA. It installed almost exactly the same way as last time, only this time I didn't use the driver CD. I still have the pink stripe like before, but like I said, it's not something that bothers me too much. Unless I know for sure I can get rid of it, I'll probably just stick with these settings. Thanks again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/243504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice