1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with HCF PCI modem drivers and display problems with a older laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by turboeuro951, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turboeuro951

turboeuro951 Thread Starter

I installed windows 7 x86 on a older Toshiba satellite 1905-s301 laptop. It runs fine and it told me I could install the driver for xp in compatibility mode but im not sure how to do this. Also the laptops video card doesnt support directx 9.0 so i cant run aero is there any way around this?? Im not even sure if I want to turn it on because the laptop would crawl but I would like to get the message out of the message log down on the windows bar.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on the installation program and select 'Troubleshoot compatibility.' I would first let it try whatever it wants to. Then try XP SP3, etc.

Replace the video card.

Could you show a screen shot of that? I had Windows 7 on an aero-less PC for a brief time and don't remember having any such message. Of course, I also don't know what the message log and windows bar are.

3. turboeuro951

there is no installation program when I click on troubleshoot it sends me to microsofts website which is useless. The dont make a driver for that PCI modem and therefore I have to use the xp version but Im not even sure how to get it. As for the video car its a laptop so that cannot happen unless i spend a bunch...nope. The message center is on the right hand side of the start bar in the system tray it has a little white flag and when you click on it it pops up and shows all the issues with your computer.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The XP driver? If Toshiba doesn't have it try the motherboard manufacturer and then the modem manufacturer. I thought you already had it and just wanted to know how to install it.

OK. To be picky, and to make communication easier, you're talking about the "Action Center" in the Notification Area of the Task Bar. :)

5. turboeuro951

sorry new to windows 7 not up and up on the lingo yet. Ill look into the motherboard and get back.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice