1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Problems with HDD , corrupted or virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tomislav1234, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomislav1234

Tomislav1234 Thread Starter

Good day, first... i have numerous problems with my HDD and i just want to say my english is not best... so lets get started... one day my HDD just stopped working for some reason and the first thing i wanted to try is to format it... but... it not worked... not even trough diskpart bcs it not even showed there... so i took another HDD , put it in the laptop , connected my corrupted one through USB connector , and my diskpart detected it... but... when i ALWAYS try to format it or just clean it.... sure it will take the command BUT it will never finish... its just like the command prompt is not working... doing nothing... and this is verry weird... also if i enter command list volume it will show the disk as a offline... tried to make it online but again the same thing it will never load... and when i connect the corrupted HDD into my laptop then the computer goes verry slow... i dont know what to do anymore or how to formate it or repair it.. sure i tried minitool partition wizard BUT when i try to start it when the corrupted disk is connected the program will never load... only when the disk is not connected... sure i tried to run the program first and then connecting the HDD but minitool will keep refreshing its list and will never refresh it... for me it seems like there is a virus... but i dont really know... any help will be aprreciated and sorry for my english again... thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. What is the make and model of the HDD

2. In view of this
    I would suspect the hard drive is damaged either the platters - the disc to which the data is written or indeed the mechanical side of the drive and that is perhaps evidenced by the fact that programs will not even load with the disk connected

3. you say when you issue the
    online disk
    command
    it will not load
    Does diskpart even return the response
    diskpart successfully online the selected disc

4. Re above in bold
    ONE DAY MY HDD just stopped working
    This is although possible rather unusual - were there previously bad sectors recorded and you just carried on using it after a chkdsk /r
    Were the bad sectors increasing

OR was the disc all apparently OK and then it simply failed

5. There is no reason at this stage to suspect a virus

3. Tomislav1234

Thanks for the fast response :) so... 1. WD10JPVX-22JC3TO make is WD Blue 2. Its not damaged... i put it to a friend that specializes on this and he said the hard disk is psysically ok... there is nothing wrong with it and he said that the problem is IN the HDD so its nothing technical 3. this one is update on situation... i tried it again and it responded the disk is online (something like that ) so that one works 4. no there were no bad sectors or something like that recorded... it was ok and without errors.... 5. i sucesfully formated the disk BUT there is still some files and they take about 90 MB , every time i try to format it then the files still stay there.... and the reason why i suspect its a virus is bcs when i try to do something with the HDD then every time something will went bad... of course i always did secure ways to repair it... so i dont think i caused it somehow... update : Tech guy gave me advice to try run command clean all insted of clean only and said it might work... so i try this now and later update on the situation if it worked (again sorry for my english )

4. Macboatmaster

Your post is extremely difficult to read
    You are doing very well with the English
    please edit your post like my layout to separate it into points
    eg

etc

5. Macboatmaster

HOW does he know this if he cannot run a chkdsk on it

which Tech guy please

6. Tomislav1234

Well i dont know his name but it was tech guy :D the disk is ok psysically... and how do i know this without doing chkdsk? bcs he ran on minitool partition to control it if its ok and it said it is... its practically the same as chkdsk but even better

7. Macboatmaster

Great
    For your info clean on diskpart is similar to a quick format
    clean all is more intensive and writes 0`s to each and every sector on the drive
    On a 1TB drive clean all will take hours

I did not mean his name I meant to which Tech Guy do you refer and on WHICH site as this site is
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-hdd-corrupted-or-virus.1180909/#post-9312698

With respect I suggest you continue with the help you are already receiving from this friend
    After clean or format there will always be a difference between the 1TB and the actual space shown

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22939910-Hard-Drive-showing-only-931GB-Not-1TB

8. Tomislav1234

Its a guy from our town who is doing this i think 6 years? i am not exactly sure.... i alredy asked him before but he didnt came with any idea until now only with the clean all command... if that one wont work then i dont know anymore what to do....

9. Macboatmaster

Good luck with it

10. Tomislav1234

update on situation : i am checking the disk in the process of cleaning (with minitool partition) and... the files of 93 Mb are deleted... if its a truly virus then there is no more of it... we will see in the end

11. Tomislav1234

Ok so the disk is readable again... it shows as online , not corrupted and seems okay... but windows wants me to format it... with quick one so i agreed... the quick one is taking long time... i dont know if this is normal but i let it work and i hope it repaired... (when the clean all command finished avast detected virus on the disk and sucesfully deleteted it... seems my theory was right? )

12. Tomislav1234

update on situation : i let it formatting 8 hours and it finished and i could acces the HDD normally... no corrupted HDD or something like that....i restarted the computer to test if its truly repaired but the HDD loads VERRY long time but i think thats bcs i use USB 2.0 to connect it to the PC (its 1 TB disk so if its repaired it loads long time bcs i got old connector? ) .... i will update here again if i can acces it sucesfully.

13. Tomislav1234

so... i think i am done and it went sucesfully :) the HDD indeed needed long time to load and it eventually loaded... here i uploaded pictures of it... i want to thank everyone for help and opinions
    Here are the steps on how i did it for others if they stumble on this :
    1. open cmd and run it as administrator
    2. write diskpart
    3. write list disk and select disk (number) (you will recognize it by how much space the disk got )
    4. write online disk (in most cases the disk will be only but just to be sure )
    5. now write attributes disk clear readonly
    6. now write clean all (this can take a VERRY long time depends on your disk space )
    7. the cmd will keep cleaning the disk dont think that its stuck... it seems as stuck but its doing its progress...
    8. when you finish then windows will propably want to format it.... you can do quick one... after that you should be done!

So this is all of it... Thanks everyone for help and opinions

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice