1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with HP dv8380us; Please read.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WhenInQuestion, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhenInQuestion

WhenInQuestion Thread Starter

Hello, I have an HP dv8380us running Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition with SP 3. It's a two hard drive computer, and the main one died a year ago and it was replaced. Everything was working fine after this.

A few months ago, the computer started to ask for a check disk at startup, but it would never go past 18%, although, the computer was never let to just sit on that screen for countless hours. I'm was able to skip the disk check and start windows normally.

A few weeks ago, the fan on the laptop started making a horrible grinding noise, but this would stop with a simple restart of the computer. The fan eventually died out and the computer started to overheat and shut down within 15-20 minutes of it being on.

A few days ago, I found a manual detailing how to open up my laptop to clean off the dust on the heatsink and fan. Thinking this would solve my problem, I ventured off and had to completely disassemble my laptop to reach the fan/heatsink area. I rid the heatsink and fan of all the dust bunnies that were there, I cleaned off the old thermal paste, applied some arctic silver 5 to the processor(?), reinstalled the heatsink, and put the laptop back together.

When I turned on my laptop, the screen did not go on; previous this incident, the screen was running with colored lines spaced all across it, but it wasn't too bad, it still worked. I freaked out and restarted my computer by pressing the power button a few times. I thought I might've fried something; I read somewhere online that I could hold the power button for 30 seconds without the ac cord + battery to rid the computer of any static, but after doing this, the screen still wasn't coming on. I then tried hooking an external monitor and pressing F8, the external monitor worked. Another new problem arose however, after skipping the disk check windows did not start normally, instead, I got a blue screen (which I've found out is the blue screen of death) saying something about finding a fault in a non paged area (screen goes by too fast to read) and at some point it said something about a file named nv4_mini.sys.

The laptop still lets me restart on safe mode. I tried doing a system restore, but this did not do anything.

I've read several things I can try online, but before I try to open up my laptop again or do anything with the software, I want to be advised on what to do as opposed to troubleshooting the problems by guessing. I'm thinking it could be something as simple as getting the hard drives mixed up and installing #2 on the #1 slot and vice versa, but then again, it could be something much more complicated or a process that requires me to take steps in order, so before I do anything, I'd like you guys' help.

I'm also 90% positive I did all the steps I had to do right including reconnecting all the cables properly, keeping myself grounded, etc when I opened up my laptop.

Finally, the fan is working again, although, still struggling a bit.

What do you guys suggest I do in this mess I've gotten myself into? =(

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'm stuck at the two hard drive computer for a laptop part :confused:

3. WhenInQuestion

Sorry if I made my post a bit confusing. Basically, I was just saying the hard drive had been replaced fairly recently, possibly ruling out a hard drive issue.

4. Megabite

Megabite

How old is this laptop?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the HP Pavilion dv8380us laptop.

According to the hardware specs site, it originally came with dual 120 GB hard drives.

It's a 17" wide-screen model, and I have heard of some larger laptops coming with dual hard drives.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. WhenInQuestion

The laptop is about 3 years old.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

wow....learn something new everyday :eek:

8. WhenInQuestion

I've confirmed the hard drives are where they should be. I'm still in need of assistance. Thanks in advance.

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'd try reinstalling video drivers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice