1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with IE 6

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by laurfar, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi, I just recently had to do a format and recovery on my HP Pavilion 6730 due to increasing problems of freezing and blue screens, and then finally getting black screens! Ah! Anyway, I'm putting everything back on my PC one thing at a time. My PC comes with IE 5, but I now have to upgrade to IE 6x. When I did that this week I began to get pop ups saying that "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down", or something very close to that. It didn't happen till I put the upgraded IE 6 on. It was happening regularly so I did the Add/Remove folder in Control Panel, and removed IE6. I'm not getting any more of those pop ups, but probably need to upgrade from IE5. Anybody have a solution. I can not get the IE 5.5 upgrade any longer, it has to go to the current IE6 update. I know that it is that version of IE that makes my machine go crazy. Help Please.

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

3. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Jack,
    Sad news, I downloaded the IE5.5 download that was on the site you gave me, but what a mess. After the download and reboot, I could not use IE. It only gave me a page that said that it could not find a browser. It said up at the top of the page:
    "Cannot find server - no page to display- Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by PSU Center for Education technology"
    On that page I was able to go to Tools>Internet Options>You can change your page to use for your home page. I then typed in www.yahoo.com, but I was unable to get it to connect. I then went to My computer>control panel>add/remove folder. I tried the "repair" on IE 5.5, it went through the repair, but did not help things. I had no way to connect to the internet. I then did the MS Dos mode, and Scanreg /restore. I'm now back to my IE 5 without the added version 5.5. I would love to just use IE6 version, but it makes my system so unstable. If I go to the version 6 is there a site where I can get patches that will keep it from making my machine freeze up??
    Thanks for your thoughts.

4. dr20

dr20

Hi,

IE 6 gave me problems on my 98SE machine too, I like 5.5 SP2 way better.

You can try downloading 5.5 SP2 from the link below, it's possible the one you got is corrupted or not complete somehow. This is the one I've downloaded and it works great:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

The browser doesn't come with patches, you'll have to go to Microsoft to get the latest ones.

Good luck!!

5. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks so much, can you give me a web address for the microsoft site to get the patches?
    Also, a weird thing is happening when I clk on a link, IE finds the site but then instead of opening, I see a teeny little 1 inch bar that has the site name and the little boxes of -,enlarge symbol, and x to close. I have to hit the little toaster box for enlarge in order see the website. Is there something I can adjust to change all this?

6. dr20

dr20

Normally you can go to Microsoft Windows Update to get your patches. If you prefer to download and save them to your HD they have a page for that too. All you really need is the last one from February:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/default.asp

Your second problem I've never heard of that before, I'll check around and see if there's some information on it. Hopefully when you install the 5.5 SP2 that may solve it, but it's strange because with 5 on there now it shouldn't be doing what it is. Usually IE remembers exactly how you last closed it and reopens again the same exact way.

7. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Try this for the open minimised problem---->Sandi's Site

8. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, the attempt at getting 5.5 just didn't work out. I was able to install it, but my PC went really unstable, so I reformatted and am sticking with IE 5.0 untill I'm brave enough to move up to IE 6. No more 5.5 for me thanks anyway.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice