Problems with IE after installing KB883939

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mishi

Hi! This is my first post, so please bear with me. I hope I am doing this right. I searched and tried to find the answer but could not.

So here goes! :)

I installed Cumulative Security Update OE 6 Service Pack 1 KB883939 way back in June. What happened is after doing so, I had errors each and every time I closed an Internet Explorer window.

First, it claimed there was something wrong with Adobe Acrobat. So, I uninstalled all the Adobe Acrobat products I had on my computer. That didn't help, the error changed it's title, but it was still the same error.

I read online that someone suggested disabling the IE add ons, which I did - didn't help either.

So I did what you do when you have no choice, and I did a Windows XP Restore. :D

This of course, solved my problem. I downloaded and installed about 9 updates when this happened, so I didn't know which one caused it. After approximately 10 restores.... :cool: I finally figured out it was Cumulative Security Update OE 6 Service Pack 1 KB883939. So now, I am doing all my updates, but not this one.

This one is always popping up...with the little yellow shield with the ! in it....I am not sure if this item is that important, but it claims to be.

So what do I do? Do I ignore it forever? I know there is a way to remove this item from Windows Update, but I don't want to do that if it's important.

Anyone have ideas? :eek:

Thanks,
Michelle

u should be able to put a click by the update to hide it, but every time u do updates, it will remind u that u have a critical update that u have not downloaded etc. just ignore it if u think u don't need this particular update. read up on it & decide... :)

mishi

Thank you lotuseclat79...I read that article which really didn't help me much. I don't think I'm going to install "belarc", since I don't know if it will help me with what I need.

I don't want to know if I "need" it...Microsoft obviously thinks I do...what I want is to find out why it's not working - and if it's not working for others, there must be a solution...!

wtxcowboy, thank you too for your help - but "ticking it off" is not a solution either. :)

If I knew if I needed it or could just ignore it, I wouldn't have posted a message here! :)

Thanks!

mishi said:
Thank you lotuseclat79...I read that article which really didn't help me much. I don't think I'm going to install "belarc", since I don't know if it will help me with what I need.

I don't want to know if I "need" it...Microsoft obviously thinks I do...what I want is to find out why it's not working - and if it's not working for others, there must be a solution...!

wtxcowboy, thank you too for your help - but "ticking it off" is not a solution either. :)

If I knew if I needed it or could just ignore it, I wouldn't have posted a message here! :)

Thanks!
Mishi,
What OS version, WinXP Pro or Home and SP1 or SP2 are you running? ? The reason I ask is that if you glossed over reading the link I recommended, it could make a difference - aside from the fact that your desecription of KB883939 indicated OE and not IE, except you covered yourself with the Title - so, I'm not sure there is any confusion on your part there. You have the benefit of a doubt.

I urge you to install and run Belarc Advisor as it will be able to verify that you have a good install or need to be reinstalled or not - in addition to a security level audit of your computer against NSA (National Security Agency) standards for WinXP.

You need to know the kind of feedback from Belarc that you are now just guessing about.

-- Tom

mishi

lotuseclat79, I did it. :) I installed Belarc. And WOW! What a great program! Thank you so much! I'm glad I know about this now! This is very useful!

But...it didn't help my problem.

So...here's what I've done so far: I pretty much gave up on KB883939. I figured that there IS some way I can get around it! I was running XP Home (that came with the HP laptop I bought from CompUSA) and I thought if I upgraded to XP Pro, this problem would disappear!

I can assure you, it has not. :) In fact, it's gotten worse.

Now, I cannot run Windows Update anymore. I run it and it goes through all it's motions, then it reports that I have a problem, and cannot use Windows Update.

I'll paste the error here:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. [Error number: 0x8007043B]

So this is the new thing. This is why I broke down and installed Belarc. What it did was tell me that I needed to install 17 Windows Updates. I installed them one by one through Belarc - since I can't use Windows Update anymore.

I did them one by one - and of course, didn't want to do KB883939 (that's how all this started) and everything worked fine...except the WU. I set a restore point then installed KB883939, which, as you guessed it, caused the original problem I had. So now I have a problem each time I closed an Internet Explorer window, and can't do Windows Update.

The original problem error:

Acrobat IEHelper: iexplore.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00e4a584" referenced memory at "0x00e4a584". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program

Now, don't jump and claim it's Acrobat - I completely uninstalled Acrobat and it still does the same thing (minus the Acrobat IEHelper part of the message). This only happens to me when KB883939 is installed.

Don't know if this issue is related - but I can't see the "power" icon in the status bar any longer. If I go into the properties, I can "uncheck" it, click on apply, then check it again, and click on apply and it will appear. But once I reboot it's gone again.

So...this is where I am now.

A mess, yes?

The question is....can I get out of it! :)

Thanks!
Michelle

P.S. If I didn't mention, I installed XP Pro with SP2 included on the CD I bought.

Hi mishi,

The Acrobat IE helper error message you cited appears to be trying to read itself - i.e. a self-referential instruction.

At this point, I would Remove the Acrobat IE helper to see what happens.

You should check your services that support Windows Update by doing:
Start->Run->services.msc->Ok
Make sure that both Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent Transfer Service are set to Startup Type Automatic. If not right-click Properties after highlighting each one, and use the pull-down menu to reset it, Apply, Ok.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online