Problems with installing internet security program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pymeohmy

Hello,

I am fairly new to computers and I am having a problem that I just don't know how to fix.

I have a windows XP computer and had Norton internet Security on it I think it was 2003 or 2004. I purchased Norton Interent security 2006 and tried to install it. It checked the computer to make sure it could be installed but as it was installing there was an error message that popped up:"This file does not have a program associated with it to perfor this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.

I got this message a few times and then it said it was finished,,,the computer restarted....and at this point all my icons except for 1 old AOL icon were "gone". There are now what looks to be a white "page" of paper in place of the icons including nortons.

When I click on any of these they either do nothing at all...or an error pops up that there are no files. When I went into my computer to uninstall Norton there is NOTHING in there, no programs ...nothing.

I went onto symantec website for support and the error I found that came closest to this was: "This file doesn't have a file associated with it...."

I followed the directions which had me go into "safe mode" and type in regedit and then into the registry editor for Hkey_classes_root....etc.
I followed the instructions to check certain boxes and then apply them...but when I tried to "apply" them the check mark disappeard. So I tried just clicking ok and went back to check and the check mark disappeared again.

I finally decided to get out of this and see if anything changed. I came to a black screen that said "safe mode" in all of the corners and I didn't know how to get out of it so I shut the computer off. When I turned it back on again there was no change on my desktop.
I still have no programs anywhere that I can open and no icons other than the "pages".

Since all my programs seem to be gone is this still a problem with the registry or is it something else that could be wrong?

I am afraid I did something to my computer at this point and there is nothing I can do to fix it. Can you help me or do I need to call someone? :eek:
thank you for your time

.....Pyme

i'm no expert, but u should post an Hijack This log....maybe someone more knowledgable might see something that needs to be removed. Also, im wondering if u had any problems before you bought Norton.....which caused you to purchase Norton. Maybe you already had some virus or shitloads of spyware, etc. loaded on your comp.

With my limited knowledge....i suggest running Hijack This and posting a log. Also download the setups for some of the good spyware removal programs and put them on a floppy. Then in safe mode install and run them. Make sure u have the latest updates for them.

Pymeohmy

Thank you 2Pinz...I appreciate it....

And...I have to throw this in...WAY TO GO STEELERS !!!

:D

First of all as a precaution download and run:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Then try an online scan.
http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner
Anything it finds and can’t clean, delete then save the results and post the log.

Once you have scanned your system run HJT and post the log
Download Hijackthis from here:
HijackThis

Save the File into a new folder either on the desktop or wherever you want as long as it’s easy to find. Once you have done that extract the files (Do not run from the zip file) and run the HijackThis.exe file. Then select the option - Do a system scan and save a log file.
The scan should only take a few seconds and when it has finished a text document should open in notepad. Copy the whole document and paste it into you're reply. Then close both the text file and HijackThis, do not fix anything yet as most of the items in the log should be left alone.

That way we can find out if you have any Malware or Viruses causing your problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts