1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with installing new RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snachicat, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snachicat

snachicat Thread Starter

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435T, I think those are called like 4000s now or something I don't know. Anyway, it came with 4x 1GB sticks of DDR3 RAM. Motherboard has 6 slots, they were installed in the first 4. I recently got 2 x2GB sticks of RAM from Crucial. I can't get the computer to recognize all 6 sticks. By computer I mean BIOS or motherboard I guess, at this point I've been booting into the BIOS, or "CMOS setup utility," not sure how/whether those are different, but it tells me how much memory is installed and available... Doesn't go into detail though, with exactly which slots it sees and all that, which is super annoying. From what I remember when I was purchasing the computer, over a year ago, the motherboard is supposed to support up to like 32 GB of ram. Not sure how that works with 6 slots but...
    Anyway.

The two new modules work, I booted the computer with those in the first 2 slots and it told me I had 4 GB RAM.

2 GB modules in the first two slots + 1 GB modules in the other four = 4 GB RAM

A 2 GB module in slot 1 and a 1 GB module in slot 2 = 3 GB RAM, which I take as a sign that they are compatible and should all work together? According to a lot of websites, I pretty much lucked out with this, not looking for RAM beyond 240 pin DDR3, but then again most of those are about DDR and DDR2 RAM, maybe DDR3 is just more consistent and forgiving. Maybe I suck at googling, but I can't find much about this...

Alright, so here's where it gets weird. The slots alternate between pink and blue, right, so

Slot 1 (pink) - 2 GB module
    Slot 2 (blue) - 1 GB module
    Slot 3 (pink) - empty
    Slot 4 (blue) - 1 GB module
    Slot 5 (pink) - empty
    Slot 6 (blue) - 1 GB module
    = yaaay 5 GB RAM

but
    Slot 3 (pink) - 2 GB module
    Slot 5 (pink) - empty
    = still 5 GB??

Slot 3 (pink) - 2 GB module
    Slot 5 (pink) - 1 GB module
    = 6 GB????

I guess it all has to do with how triple channel RAM works, probably definitely warrants further research on my part but I figured I'd come here first. Here are my questions:

1. Does this make sense, or am I looking at something wrong with one of the modules, or my motherboard or what?
    2. Is there anything I can do to get my computer to recognize all 6 sticks?
    3. If I buy another 2 GB module (they come in packs of 2 though, dkfaskdlf) and stick it in slot 5 with the last configuration there, will it recognize... 9 GB of ram?

and if anyone wants to explain what's going on or link to something that does, that would be really cool.

2. aks88

aks88

Try with 2 gb RAM in slot 1 and 3.
    Then one by one try placing just one 1GB RAM at a time and observe how much RAM does your system detect.Also see that you keep the 6th slot empty because there are many reasons due to which the RAM in the 6th slot will not be detected.

Also you can try the other way round, i.e, placing the 2GB RAM in slot 2 and 4 and then gradually placing the other one GB RAM's. In this case the 5th slot will be empty.

Please post the results after that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice