1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Internet connections and connectivity to servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Farboid, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farboid

Farboid Thread Starter

Hello, I haven't posted here before so please excuse any noob-ish errors.

At the moment and over the past year I have been having some problems with my computer's Internet connection. The problems have been very scattered, but common enough for me to get fed up and look for some help.
    It started with video games; mostly I noticed problems whenever I was trying to host locally or join a local host in games like Left 4 Dead 2 or Portal 2. Note that I was once able to host them with my friends who live in at least a 10km radius and get a steady ping below 100, at least. But now I can't, if I try, my friend will get a ping around 500, and if he hosts I get the ping of 500. To narrow it down to my computer, I had two friends join, both of which got pings of 500. However, when one of them hosted, only I got 500 and not the other, leaving me to assume that it is in fact my computer's problem.
    That error has bothered me for the last year, and while I can connect to official game servers, I can't connect locally.
    The second trouble I found was with Minecraft. I had port forwarded a server on my Bigpond Thompson router for at least a year, and a few months ago, it simply stopped working. I may have tinkered around with a few files on the server, but I have updated the server and redownloaded the files, and we still don't get connection. I assumed though that it was less to do with the server files, and more to do with the port forward. I had changed nothing, but suddenly my computer was showing up as 'unknown' on the router's webpage followed by a bunch of letters and numbers.
    This wasn't always the case, for a long time my friends could join with a nice ping, but now they can't connect despite my port forward being valid.
    Now, what has recently annoyed me, is that after a month of playing Chivalry Medieval Warfare, I now only get pings averaging on 400 or so, though the ping leaps up and down from 100 to 500 in matters of seconds.

I guess what I want to know is this; is there any relevance between these problems, and of course, can they be fixed? I CAN connect to other game servers on my computer like Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, the official Left 4 Dead 2 servers and I can connect to other Minecraft servers too.
    I am not the only person using my router; no one else who uses it has the problems that I do with his computer, so that leaves me to assume that it is my computer, not my Internet.
    My download speed averages around 800kb/s and I have re-tried the problems while other people are not using the Internet with no success, so it is not a problem with banwidth, nor is my Internet just capped or anything.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110, with Windows 7 Home Premium, is 64bit, has 4gb RAM, has Intel core i5 and a 2.30GHz processor. It connects Wirelessly to a Thompson TG782T modem.
    The computer has mcafe virus protection which is always on.

Thanks if you can help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice