1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with losing links.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elizab, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elizab

elizab Thread Starter

I am on a wireless setup. that is:- a collecter and booster on a mast that pics up the signal from about 1 mile away. from the mast to the wireless router (linksys wrt54g2)
    This was setup by the IP.
    My Internet providers system is connected to three main internet providers:- Telecom, Orcon and world communications (Xnet) with three different static addresses and they keep rotating to connect to the one that happens to be the fastest.
    So what happens is for example:- I log onto your forum and the go to start a thread or reply to somone and the ip number has changed to one of the others. So I will have to log in again.
    another example is if I am downloading the ip number will change and I lose the download link and have to start again.
    Some forums are no so sensitive and I do not lose the link.
    I have spoken to my IP and he keeps saying he is going to put me onto one address. but 4 months later nothing has happened as yet.
    somebody has told me there might be a program out there somewhere that will lock onto a link I go to and stay on it until I log off or the download finishes and i have spent many hours looking but no Joy.
    I anybody has some suggestions please let me now,
    three pics under with some details
    thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the ISP connection sounds very stupid, and I doubt there's anything you're going to do to fix this, other than changing ISP's! When they switch paths, you will lose any existing connections, nature of TCP/IP connections.

3. elizab

elizab Thread Starter

Yes I think you are right. also Until I suggested to the main man at my IP that that could be the reason I was losing connections all the time, they were not aware of it. By the way This is a very small IP suppling a small village of about 50 residents. I think they are not that sure about what they are doing.
    Last night when i was on the forum I had to log in about 8 times over a 20 minute period.

That old saying comes to mind "you pay peanuts so you will get monkeys"

My IP justifies this method by saying we will always get fast broadband and because sometimes we are more likely to stay connected because one of the three main providers may go down

4. JohnWill

If the ISP had any brains, they'd use a multiple WAN router at the head-end and have automatic load sharing, and the connections would only change if the ISP actually did go down!

5. elizab

elizab Thread Starter

I reckon My IP needs someone like yourself on their team.
    Some of the staff are not very savyy. when the mast gear was first installed it was bolted on upside down so drain system didnt work.(could have filled up with water.) luckily we didn't get much rain for a couple of months and my partner noticed it and we contacted the IP who sorted it.
    I will have a talk to them about your idea and thanks again.

6. JohnWill

It's hard to know what they're dealing with, but what you are experiencing sounds incredibly stupid. :) Dropping the connections repeatedly to change the IP address is plain WRONG!

7. elizab

elizab Thread Starter

Hello Johnwill,
    I first discovered this when I went to:- http://whatismyip.com/ and kept doing refresh.
    results were
    Telecom:- 219.89.80.86
    worldxchange,(xnet):- 58.28.154.51
    Orcon:- 60.234. 213.102
    At the moment it is rotating between orcon and Telecom.

8. JohnWill

I can only repeat that whoever engineered their system really has no idea what they're doing!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice