Problems with Maxtor External Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ramzazero

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. I'm having problems with my Maxtor 40gb external hard drive. Its a couple of years old, worked fine for the longest. Got home yesterday from class, and on booting up my computer found the hard drive was not recognized. Over the course of the evening and throuhg subsequent bootups, I got the drive to show for a second or so, in which in the computer said that the drive was malfunctioning or something to that effect.
Only other apparent difference I can see involves the lights on the drive and power cable. The normally steady light is now blinking green repeatedly. Any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it? Also, in the event my drive is dead, any chance I can get the date off of it. I had alot of important data on it. I suddenly wish I'd bought that 250gb drive i considered last week. Again, thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Edit: In case no one notices my reply a message down, the drive is USB connection. Sorry about leaving that out

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The best chance of recovering data will probably be to remove the drive from the USB case and connect it directly to a desktop to use some data recovery tools.

For starters try replacing the USB cable and using a different USB port and see if the problem persists.

ramzazero

Checked the drive with another USB cable. Still no go unfortunately. I will remove it from its case to connect to a desktop for data recovery if the situation demands it. Does it seem like it does?
Any ideas why the display lights have changed from steady to blinking? I also realized today that the drive isn't making a sound when plugged in. It was never particularly noisy, but it gave off a very quiet hum every once in a while, which suddenly seems to be gone. Is is likely that this drive is salvageable?

ramzazero

Thanks for that, the blink code on there is showing a different drive from mine (not exactly sure of the type i have since it came in a case and is over a year old. gonna see if my brother recalls any specifics) but assuming that the blink code is somewhat universal to all their drives, it would seem my drive might have gone into power saving.
Am I completely off mark with that assumption? If not, how do I get it out of powersaving? Also, judging from the products on Maxtor's site, my drive is part of the Personal Storage family of drives.

If you installed any of the One Touch software I think I would try uninstalling the software and the drive if it is listed, reboot and let Windows find the drive again and see if it will come out of the power saving mode.

I don't run mine with any of the MAXTOR or DANTZ software installed I just make my system backup using the Windows Backup utility.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
There were problems with the circuitry in some of the Maxtor USB cases. This made the drive look as though it was faulty, when in fact the disk itself was often OK.
Try the disk attached directly as IDE and if it is OK get a new USB case.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
DaveBurnett said:
Try the disk attached directly as IDE and if it is OK get a new USB case.
Good idea, which is why I suggested it in post #4. ;)

ramzazero

Thanks for the help so far, I intend to try the disk attached directly tomorrow (after i give Maxtor a call, see if they are in anyway helpful.) Hope one or the other fixes things. Again, thanks for the various replys I've recieved. If any other thoughts about my predicament pop into anyones head, I'll gladly accept them til I get this totally resolved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online