Problems with Monitor (or display, at least). Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skynix

My display has been messing up since I built my computer (apprx. a year ago).

Occasionally, after booting up, it'd show a few 'lines' that were slightly misaligned, distorting the display. After a restart or two, they'd go away, so I never really thought about it.

I added another stick of RAM tonight, and attempted to install a DVDR drive. After successfully getting the RAM to work (somewhere along the way I reset my CMOS on some bad advice, it turned out I was just messing up with the DVDR drive) I fired up the old machine again, and now I have giant yellow, vertical lines through my screen that will not go away.

What to do?

Thanks in advance.

sometimes when a monitor gets old, it starts doing that

i have an old minitor on my data server, i have to wait until after the startup to turn it on because the flicker goes crazy and the bootup, but once it gets a signal of 1024x768 75 hertz, the flicker stops and everything works fine.

skynix

It's a fairly new monitor though, I bought it new along with my parts. Could there be a problem with the video card? I pulled it out and put it back in, and there wasn't any change...

I'll try switching monitors (my old, old, monitor recently messed up, but if the yellow lines show up, it should be an identication if it's the monitor the computer.)

skynix

I tried it on another monitor, and the same problem appeared. Is my Video Card fried?

turn the pc on and leav it for about 10 minutes then touch the heatsink on the videocard

if it istoo hot to touch, then thats your problem, it is getting too warm and taking on damage.

and getting another card will only result in the same damage.

it is best to get better air flow in your case first.

with my pc, i added wings in the case to direct the hot air to the top where it is sucked out by 2 fans

another wing takes air to the video card then the video card hos air is them pulled out of the case by a nother fan.

you can probally do the same if nothing else works.

the wings are made of cardboard (ugly but works)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online