1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with motherboard detecting HD as secondary

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evo22, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

I am migrating my motherboard (IWILL - KK266) over from an old case with a 300WT Power supply to a new case and a different HD. I'm having a problem with the Motherboard recognizing the 40G HD as a primary master. It's showing up as secondary drive and won't boot. I tried switching cables; pin assignments and using a good drive that works on one of my other PCs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. beginnertech

beginnertech

Make sure that your 40 gig has the right jumper settings set to master and the other HD is set either as slave or variable select. Variable select on the secondary HD with the master set to master jumper settings will usually get you to where you need to go.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Are you trying to install a drive that already has an Operating System on it?
    Are you sure you are using the right plug location on the motherboard?
    How many other drives are installed?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you mean Slave instead of Secondary? Primary/Secondary refers to the iDE connectors on the motherboard. Master/Slave refers to the drives jumper assignments. In the later case you must make sure the drive is jumpered on the back for Master and not Slave or Cable Select. There's a legend on the drive to help with placing the jumper right. You might also want to make sure the boot order in the BIOS is set right; to boot off the hard drive.

5. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions......I will give them a try and let you know if the problem is solved.

Note: The drive is the only one I'm installing and it does have an OS(Windows 2K) on it which I intend on changing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice