1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with movies playing full-length

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Schtoogie, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schtoogie

Schtoogie Thread Starter

Just a little background information, I have a GeForce 7800GT, 1g of PC3200 dual-channel, AMD FX-53 processor, and I have an MSI Neo4-F motherboard. I am running Windows XP Pro, fully updated, DirectX 9.0c, and the latest nVidia drivers.

Lately it seems that I'll download a movie (gaming related, usually World of Warcraft movies) or compile my own and it will be several minutes in length, but Windows Media player will display it as just a few seconds, varying anywhere from 7 seconds to 1 minute. The time varies per movie for a reason I do not know. If I click at random intervals on the movie, it will skip ahead to the proportionate time on the bar. IE, if a movie is 5 minutes long, and I click the bar about 20% in, it will start playing at the 1-minute mark on the actual mpeg even if it states that it is only 20 seconds worth of film. If I play it normally without clicking on the bar, it will play the image for whatever length WMP displays it as, but the sound will keep going.

This also happened on my old 6800GT, actually it started happening when the memory on it died, which is why I bought my new card in the first place. I thought the problem would cease, but it hasn't, and it's really annoying and preventing me from making my own movies and such, which is a hobby of mine. =(

Any ideas? I'll try to answer any questions possible. Thanks.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Have you tried another player? Maybe the movie's fine.

3. Schtoogie

Schtoogie Thread Starter

I've also tried viewing in Winamp, no dice. I could try Quicktime, it might work because it's an apple program at heart.

All these movies played perfectly fine before. I have no idea what happened :\

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well originally with the 6800GT folks were having vid problems. From your post I assume there was a time when all worked fine with the 6800. You don't remember if there was any other events that might have happened around the time the problem started? A driver update, Windows update, new software install, a virus problem?

Are you using WMP10 (I would avoid 11 beta for now), installing/reinstalling 10 might help.

You could try this app to view your mpg's. Get the beta, 2.52. Unfortunately I find it rather confusing (the AVI version is great). But it may give some insight into why things aren't working. The vertical number buttons on the lower left, Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests, will show if things are correct (kind of), it also shows what codecs are installed etc. But as I said I don't completely trust what it says, but it's worth a try.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html

5. Schtoogie

Schtoogie Thread Starter

Well, thanks for the tips. Turns out, same problem happens using Quicktime, only in a different way - it will just play the movie for the erroneous length of time regardless of if you fast-forward or not. Sound continues even after the movie is done playing for the erroneous length.

I downloaded that program you recommended, but I have no idea how to use it or what I am looking for. I loaded a movie onto it, and that's all I can tell you, lol. Beyond that is just gibberish on the screen. =\

I'll check my version of and/or reinstall WMP, though. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Thanks!

Edit:
    As for any events that might have caused these problems, I am not aware of any... The only thing that seems anywhere close to relevant information to me is my video card's memory dying shortly after these problems started.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice