1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with MS Outlook using MS Exchange on a VPN

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BBCMember, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBCMember

BBCMember Thread Starter

I'm working on a system right now that is acting weird. The way the system works is first you log onto the VPN, then you open Outlook.

Sometimes Outlook works and mail can be created and sent, but sometimes, although mail can still be received, it can't be sent, nor can any text be typed into the body of the email. However, text can be typed in the TO field and SUBJECT field when this happens. Sometimes when we log off the user and then log back on, it starts working again, but sometimes it doesn't.

I checked for firewalls and the Windows firewall was running, as well as the "Stateful Firewall", which is part of the VPN software. I thought they might be conflicting, so I disabled the Windows firewall, but that didn't help.

Ideas?

2. draceplace

draceplace

Not sure if this helps... but if user tries to open outlook (this fails and then they remember to VPN) before establishing the VPN, DNS (local cache) will save a record for you mail server. If this is a public IP for your mail server it will screw things up once they VPN and become internal. ipconfig flushdns sometimes fixes this. Putting the mail ip in the 'host file' also works.

3. BBCMember

BBCMember Thread Starter

Thanks. It was actually a tool bar that had incorporated itself into Outlook that was causing it. It was spyware or some search tool that was not needed. Uninstalled it and all is good again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice