problems with my administrator account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marane70

Hello!!

I need some help please !!!

a few days ago i have added a new users account to my computer. I wanted to give the minimun of priviledges to this account, so i went to contro panel, users account... and i did something about permissions thats is giving me troubles right now!!!

I am the administrator of this computer, but i cannot do anything, i have tryed to get back the permissions, the ownership.... what ever i have found in internet, but still doen't work!!!!!!

I cannot copy any file in this computer, and cannot install any program. The local disk "c" is completlly blocked!!!!

I need some help!!! I just want to create a new account with less priviledges and still having my owner account like before!! i dont know what to do!!!!!!!

:confused:

Go to user accounts (control panel)
Create a new account with administrator privileges.
log off the pc.
log back on using the new account.
Change your old admin account to a limited account.
Restart the pc.
log on again using the new account.
Go to user accounts & change back your old account to an admin account.
Restart the pc.
log in using your old account & see if your admin privileges have been restored.
If so, go back to user accounts & delete the new account which you created.

marane70

Hey Rob!!

Thanks for your advice but... I have all the administrator priviledges blocked! I can not even create or change any account!!!

Im desperated!!! Should I try to format my machine?? Can I do that if I dont have the permissions????

Go to start\programs\accessories
Right click on command prompt.& run as administrator.
If it wont run as admin, run it normally
Type the following in the box: net user administrator /active:yes
Press enter.
Log off the pc.
Log on as administrator
Follow the instructions in my last post.

marane70

hey rob!

I just tryed what you told me, it doesnt work as an administrator, so i ran it normally... u put net user administrator /active:yes and i get this message:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Acces is denied."

Do you know anything else for me to try???

Thank you very much for your attention!! and your help!!! I really apreciate it!
m.

Boot the pc in safe mode (press the f8 key as windows is starting up, then choose safe mode)
Let me know if you get an option to log on as administrator.

This is a bit of a long shot because in vista the administrator account is disabled by default.

i went to contro panel, users account...and i did something about permissions thats is giving me troubles right now!!!
From Control Panel | User Accounts, you can change an account type, but not permissions. We need to know exactly what you did.
Did you change both the new account and your current account to Standard users?
If that's the case, then you can reboot to Safe Mode and the Administrator account will be present on the Welcome screen, even if it's disabled. You can log in with that and change your account back to a computer administrator account.

Sounds more like you right clicked the drive or a folder, clicked Properties, click the Security tab, and set a Deny permission of some kind.

Or did you do both?

The local disk "c" is completlly blocked!!!!
What exactly does this mean? Can you click Start | Computer, then double click the C: drive and see the files and folders, or do you get an error?
Can you right click the C: drive, click Properties, then click the Security tab?
Does this list users and show the permissions, or do you have a Continue and.or Advanced button?
If you have the buttons, what happens when you click either of them?

hey rob!

I just tryed what you told me, it doesnt work as an administrator
"it doesnt work as an administrator" doesn't tell us anything. You have to be our eyes and tell us exactly what didn't work.
Did you get a UAC prompt that says If you started this action, continue, but the Continue button is not available?
Did you get a UAC prompt that says Type an administrator password, but had no place to type one and the OK button is not available?
NO UAC prompt, just an error?
If you got an error what was it?
Did it open a command prompt?
If it opened a command prompt, what happened when you entered the command?

marane70

hello rob!!

I did the administrator part!!... Now when I logg in it appears the administrator account created by vista by default... but it doesnt let me do anything, as with the other account...

Can you think about something else to do?

thank you very much

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online