1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with my Bios (Help!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cool908, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cool908

cool908 Thread Starter

Rarely a time I've looked for help online but here goes...

I just did a built of a computer, the following are the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Power supply: Diablotek UL Series 775W ATX 12V

Problem:

The problem I am experiencing is whenever I boot into bios I get a weird screen. Also while on this screen, I can move the mouse, but cannot interact with anything, in fact I can't see anything clearly.

I did search the forum and noticed my problem to be identical to the one explained in the following thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1139299-bios-help-need-asus-m5a99x.html

Since the thread wasn't updated, I decided to ask, to see if someone has experienced this similar issue.

Furthermore if I'm not in bios, the computer runs great. But whenever I load into bios I cannot do anything. (The picture shown in the previous thread is exactly what happens on my bios screen.) Like I said in moving the mouse, I create small squares.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is the picture from the previous post. Which is the exact screen I'm getting.

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. I fully appreciate that you have not asked for opinions on your setup but that PSU
    The overall build quality of the Diablotek PHD650 is bad.
    Diablotek is a Chinese made power supply imported by Golden Tiger amongst other companies, but the actual manufacturer cannot be identified on any search I have made
    http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/155844-diablotek/

IMHO it is the likely kiss of death to the computer
    Many cheap PSU`s have insufficient poor quality - over voltage protection and if that PSU fails it may well supply over voltage to your motherboard and other components.
    The possible result is that what you have saved by buying a cheap poor quality PSU could be a very expensive saving.

3. That all said I doubt the garbled BIOS screen is due to the PSU
    Asus have had many problems reported of this nature
    Some APPEAR, and I cannot find definite evidence, to be due to the fact that some motherboards were supplied with a BETA Bios

4. Other reports tend to suggest that the latest graphics driver has solved the issue

5. I recommend you contact Asus are your earliest convenience in case an RMA is necessary

6. I do not see how it can effect it but - how are you accessing BIOS -UEFI
    Disables the DirectKey function. The system will only power on or

off when you press the DirectKey button.

Allows the system to power on and go to BIOS Setup directly

when you press the DirectKey button.

with the Asus Direct key or the usual F2, Del etc, on post

3. cool908

cool908 Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate it. No worries ill get rid of the diablotek PSU and get a better one. I'll contact Asus in regards the motherboard. I'm accessing bios by the direct to bios option on the desktop. This is part of the pack of utilities provided.

4. replay

replay

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What happens when you access the bios/uefi normally ie via the "del" key during post? Do you see the same artifacts on the screen?

I agree with the above; get a quality pw supply. With your video card, you need something like this seasonic pw supply;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

6. cool908

cool908 Thread Starter

Yes I still get that screen.

1. I unhooked the battery from bios. And hooked it up after 15 minutes. (still had the problem.)

2. I updated bios still had the problem.

Note: All of these tests were done via hdmi cable.

I mention it because later on I tried with a different graphics card (older) Radeon hd 5550 and through VGA cable I could see the bios screen and navigate it no problem. If I tried to use the hdmi cable through the radeon hd 5550 I couldn't get a signal. I verified the Radeon hd 5550 with another computer in case that graphics card was faulty, but it worked fine.

I tried again with the sapphire, I still get the garbled screen.

*I also changed the sapphire's position on the board. At first it was on the PCI 2.0 x 16_1 slot (single at 16 mode). I changed it to the PCI 2.0 x 16_2 slot (dual at x8/x8 mode). In both slots it exhibited the same problem.

7. replay

replay

next test : a different hdmi cable???

8. cool908

cool908 Thread Starter

I just tried with a different hdmi cable and unfortunately, it exhibits the same garbled screen.

9. jamesx121

jamesx121

doses your monitor have DVI ports as well as HMDI ports ????
    your SAPPHIRE graphics card shows two DVI ports on it---
    I have been told that you can't tell the difference on the screen between
    DVI & HMDI---
    the only thing is DVI won't play the sound out of your monitor speakers---
    a 25$ to 45$ set of speakers is a lot cheaper than going out & buying
    another 200$ graphics card because the HMDI port went bad on it-----
    a lot of people still use DVI just fine----

10. Macboatmaster

It is worth examination but if the port was bad or the cable I would expect all screens to be wrong , not just the BIOS screen

11. Macboatmaster

I cannot see how this would effect it, but perhaps it is worthy of checking
    What OS is installed and was it installed in UEFI or legacy mode
    If it is UEFI mode see this for the graphics card

Dual BIOS ( Legacy and UEFI ) Support

This product supports both Legacy and UEFI BIOS. By factory default, the card itself is under Legacy mode.
    By pressing the button with SAPPHIRE logo, UEFI mode will be easily enabled

UEFI BIOS support

1) Pre-OS and network security: Sapphire HD 7730/UEFI ready products equip the UEFI firmware that is digitally signed and approved by Microsoft for Secure Boot. With Windows 8’s secured boot architecture and its establishment of a root of trust, the customer is protected from malicious code executing in the boot path by ensuring that only signed, certified “known good” code and boot loaders can execute before the operating system itself loads.
    2) Faster boot and resume times: When compared to the legacy BIOS, systems with UEFI has a much faster boot and resume time to the OS.
    [​IMG]
    The SAPPHIRE HD 7730 UEFI edition/UEFI ready products are compatible with motherboards that comply with UEFI Specification 2.3.1 or after. It is also compatible with motherboards that do not have UEFI feature. Motherboards that contain earlier version of UEFI must be updated to the latest version or have the UEFI option turned off, otherwise, the graphics card will boot in legacy mode, or in some cases, not boot at all. Please refer to your motherboard userguide for BIOS update instruction.

I know you have updated the BIOS - on the motherboard but what mode is the graphics card in - as there is a slight chance I think that if the card is wrong mode - in other words not the same mode as the BIOS - that could be the reason for the garbled screen, before the OS loads

I have to admit that I am less than certain

12. Macboatmaster

Try this - what monitor are you using
    If it is a HD reduce the monitor resolution
    The BIOS screen will either not show or will be garbled if the resolution is too high

I now do not think it is connected with my previous post - UEFI mode etc., it is a resolution issue

13. cool908

cool908 Thread Starter

I opted to change both the motherboard and graphics card since they were recently bought. Also I'm in the process of buying a new Power supply. I'll give you guys an update as soon as I get the items. Thanks for the help.

Also I did boot in Legacy and UEFI BIOS. They both had the same garbled screen. I used an old monitor with my previous graphics card. In that occasion on the new board I was able to access Bios no problem.

I am using an HDTV 720 p. I did lower the resolution on the graphics card in said occasion. I don't remember the exact resolution. But the graphics card was on 1080i, I lowered it to 720. I still got the garbled screen.

14. Macboatmaster

Try putting the card in legacy mode - as against the motherboard firmware
    see my post 11
    I have to admit that I am unsure as to which button Sapphire refer to
    This product supports both Legacy and UEFI BIOS. By factory default, the card itself is under Legacy mode.
    By pressing the button with SAPPHIRE logo, UEFI mode will be easily enabled

Is another answer if you like the system
    I used an old monitor with my previous graphics card. In that occasion on the new board I was able to access Bios no problem.

put that in as well and only connect it when you wish to access BIOS - UEFI

It is I now know a common problem on the UEFI screen especially on HDTV

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ios-will-solve-hdmi-black-screen-booting.html

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice