Problems with my IP address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisyager

I am desperate for help and I don't know what to do. I design websites for small businesses in my town. My websites are all hosted with Bluehost. Last weekend I started having problems logging into my Wordpress sites on their server. I went in rounds with them for three days until someone finally declared my IP had been blacklisted.

A check of this indicated dnsbl.spfbl.net had me flagged. I was advised by Bluehost I would need to contact Spectrum to get my IP address changed to work around all of this. I have a different IP address and it still shows up as blacklisted. I tried a VPN service and got the same exact results. I cannot login to Bluehost. Also tried to login to a website I manage with another hosting provider and they will not let me in as well.

I'm not some spammer or bot. I have not found a virus on my computer. I actually contacted the website that blocked me. It is some security company or outfit out of Portugal. Their website says this about my IP: " This IP has been flagged because it is dynamic or by suspect to be domestic use only."

In an email, I was told this by them: "Thanks for the information. Your IP was not really blacklisted because our blacklist code is 127.0.0.2 and your IP was correctly listed as 127.0.0.4, which means "no outgoing mail server running at this address". This flag code is used by our customers to feed preventive security mail systems. The DNSBL technology is used only by unauthenticated SMTP transactions, that is not your case for sure, so no harm to you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Regards!"

So they say I am not blacklisted although the internet shows me they have blacklisted me. Servers are clearly not letting me in. Nobody either can or wants to help and I am pulling my hair out. I am trying to Google what to do and the only thing coming up that might be a possibility is changing the MAC on my computer? I have no idea. Any suggestions please?

TerryNet

Terry
I was advised by Bluehost I would need to contact Spectrum to get my IP address changed to work around all of this.
Assuming that you have a dynamic IP from Spectrum the above is mostly correct. However, usually a blacklist refers to a block of addresses, not just one. So, Spectrum needs to find and fix whatever happened to get their address(s) blacklisted and get the blacklist(s) lifted. If they take the shortcut of giving you a different IP address they must make sure that it is not also blacklisted.

chrisyager

Terry, thank you for the response. I was just wondering about this. Apparently the first two series of numbers in an an IP are of the ISP's network? I noticed my old and new IP address have the same first two series of digits. So are you thinking those first two series of digits are the ones blacklisted and it is Spectrums issue? I do have just a plain residential connection and you correct, it is a dynamic IP.

chrisyager

Okay, I am now looking up the IP starting with 186.167.XX.XX and inserting random numbers in the last series and each and every one is blacklisted.

Last edited:

chrisyager

Back again. Called Spectrum and they will not do anything. They don't know who or why anyone would have blocked their server. Was told it was on me to get my specific IP unblocked. Now my IP address is being shown as blocked by Dyna RATS. They looked at my IP and gave me this:

• This is a dynamically allocated IP address. It does NOT need to be removed from our lists.
  • This is probably your home/office connection. If your ability to send email is affected, please contact your ISP
  • This reputation should NOT affect your ability to send email, or any other service. If you are not running your own email server, being on this list can safely be ignored.

So now am I down to changing internet providers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online