1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with my monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeme, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

The problem is actually a bit more complexed than this so bare with me whilst I explain.

My dad gave me his old PC and said if I could get it working I could have it.

So I have bought a new graphics card (RAGE 128 PRO 32MB AGP VGA TVOUT PAL)
    a new hard drive (Seagate ST340810A 40Gb ATA100 Hard Drive)
    a new motherboard and processor (Pcchips KT266A SKT A DDR266 ATA133 AGP Sound LAN USB 2.0 ATX & AMD Sempron 2200+ (SDA2200DUT3D) Processor Skt A 256cache 333fsb)

I have put this all together with 256mb DDR ram.

When I power up the PC the internal fans all work, the lights on the keyboard flash and the hard drive spins....the light on the monitor goes from orange (no signal) to green then clciks after a few seconds and goes back to orange.

Using the old motherboard ad processor it didnt even change from orange...so there appears to be a problem with the signal to the monitor.

I have tried another monitor...no change - same problem occurs.

Everything is new - so i am not sure why the same problem is occuring????

I cannot see any boot on the screen just remains black.

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I PULL OUT MY HAIR!!!!!

if you need any more info please just ask...thanks

2. Derrick

Derrick

Maybe the power supply is on its way out is it the old one? did you try a different vid card?

3. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

well the symptoms were worse with the old motherboard - which had a built in graphics card - so i bought the new one.

the power supply does power up the fans the front unit light the hard drive etc and so im not sure what to do next.

4. hammerbill

hammerbill

Try a cold boot-unplug the machine or turn it off at the main switch on the back for a minute. I have a couple of computers that do this too but when I fiddle with them a while they eventually turn on (in fact the pentium 3 I am taliking about on another post does that). Anyway, if that doesn't work, you can consider a cmos reset-find the bios jumper and reset it. If you can then get it to boot long enough to enter the new cmos then you might be able to work from some conservative settings to more aggressive ones one at a time.
    Then there is a chance you might just have a memory module it doesn't like. Most of the problems with incompatible memory were left behind with the high/low density pc133's but you occasionally find even DDR's that just don't work with certain boards-or else it may just be faulty. Borrow someone else's to double check.

5. skeme

skeme Thread Starter

Im buying another DDR chip at lunch time from pc world to try tonight so will have to wait and see.

One problem I have come across is that the power button on the front isnt working when connected up to the motherboard as suggested in the instruction manaual!

Has anyone else got this motherboard? cos the buttons on the front dont seem to be working although the power light comes on.????

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice