1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with my video format...... Please help.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by klenker99, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klenker99

klenker99 Thread Starter

Recently I downloaded a program that converts movies to fit my ipod. When I did that, it changed the way I import all video into a .mov format. When I import videos from my camera I use Windows Media Player, which is my default player. I finally figured out I can open and play the videos from my camera on I-tunes. But not my WMP. At first it told me it could not read the file. Now when I try to play the imported videos it says: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.
    I clicked the web help button and it tells me: You've encountered error message C00D11B1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue. I need to check the status of my sound device.
    I checked that and it was working fine.

the technical details from that website are: This error might have been triggered by an error in another program or component of Windows. The following information describes the original error.

Original Error Code

Original Error Message
    error message not available

I think I need to change how the video's from my camera are imported; change the .mov to any one of the windows media player formats. But I don't know how to do that. I['ve been trying to figure this out for the past 2 days and have gone into every avenue I know possible through the help centers. I am completely lost. Please help me.

Chrissy

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

It seems that only earlier versions of .mov files are supported in WMP11

"Apple Computer developed the QuickTime file format to create, edit, publish, and view multimedia files. QuickTime format can contain video, animation, graphics, 3D and virtual reality (VR) content. Only QuickTime files version 2.0 or earlier can be played in Windows Media Player. Later versions of QuickTime require the proprietary Apple QuickTime Player. For more information, visit the following Apple Web site:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime "

This is quoted from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

If you want to be able to play back files in both players I'd suggest saving the files to your hard drive and converting them there - you'll end up with 2 copies of each video but it seems there has to be a tradeoff in this case .

3. klenker99

klenker99 Thread Starter

I remember reading that. When it comes to this media stuff, I'm so lost.

Here is the thing.... I don't want to be able to play my imported camera videos on QuickTime. I only use QT for converting my DVD movies for my I-pod, nothing more. I never use that program. I use windows for all my photos and videos.

What my question is, how do I change the videos from my camera to be imported into .wmv format?
    Or, is there such a thing I can do for example; if I want to import any video, whether its from my camera or a DVD, it asks me what format I want to convert it into? If not thats fine.

I just want the 2 video types I use to be differentiated: videos from my camera, into .wmv format, and my dvd movie videos into .mov format. Is there anyway I can do that?

Thank you so much for you help. There is no one else that can help me since I am in a foreign country living in a small town.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

Hi klenker99 , very happy to be of help :)

Your camera will record only in the format it is designed to record in . When you import/upload a video file from any source ( whether it's camera , camcorder , disk or any medium) you can't normally change the format until the file is saved to your computer . At this point you can convert to any format you choose , depending on the limitations of any software you have installed for the purpose .

Next time you connect your camera browse the contents to see what format your camera saves the video files as ( .mov , .avi , etc ) . Also right-click on any video file and select Open With... .Click 'Choose Program...' . Select Windows Media Player and tick the box beside 'Always use this program .....' . I think when you installed QuickTime it became the default player for some , if not all , your video files .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice