Problems with New Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NTL

I recently purchased some new computer components (MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core processor, Corsair value ram). After installing these components I have had some problems getting my system running. When I first started my computer I attempted to boot from my old hard drive with Windows XP installed on it, when I tried this it gave me a stop error saying Windows failed to load because of some problem with my hard drive. When I turn my computer on it doesn't always go to the "Platinum" screen, sometimes only the monitor self test screen comes up. When I am lucky enough to get to the Platinum screen I have the option to "Hit tab to enter POST", or "Hit Del to enter BIOS setup". I have looked over the BIOS settings and everything looks to be in order. I have tried booting from a live Linux CD, but that always freezes while loading. I even tried putting my Windows CD in on startup, but it goes through all the devices (USB ect...) and then says "Starting Windows..." and restarts to the monitor self test screen. My motherboard does not have an onboard video card, and my monitor is plugged into my ATI Radeon 9600 SE video card which I just installed. I am almost positive the power supply is not the problem, I am using a 450w power supply which is new, and I have verified works in another system.

Could the problem be a bad motherboard, or something else? I have tried many things with no success. Thanks for any help you can provide.

pugmug

Banned
Try rebooting and press F8 key, then pick vga mode and reboot.

Triple6

Rob
Windows refusing to boot is normal. This happens whenever you switch motherboards with different chipsets. You need to boot off the Windows XP CD and do a Repair Installation of Windows XP - do a search on Google if you don't know how. However its best to do a clean install, format the drive and reinstall, as this will make everything run much better.

For the other problem make sure youy have connected everyhting correctly, ie. all the cards and cables are in nice and tight, and you've plugged in both power connections to the motherboard. Also try just one stick of RAM at a time or test the RAM with something like MEMTEST86+: http://www.memtest.org/ when it does boot OK. Also check the jumper settings on all the drives. You can also disconnect some of the unnecessary drives and cards to see if it will help the computer boot consistently.

NTL

pugmug said:
Try rebooting and press F8 key, then pick vga mode and reboot.
At what point in the startup process should I press F8? The first screen that comes up is the one which says "Platinum" and gives me the options to hit Tab or Delete.

NTL

Triple6 said:
Windows refusing to boot is normal. This happens whenever you switch motherboards with different chipsets. You need to boot off the Windows XP CD and do a Repair Installation of Windows XP - do a search on Google if you don't know how. However its best to do a clean install, format the drive and reinstall, as this will make everything run much better.
I understand how to do a Windows repair, but when I put my Windows CD in it never makes it to the options to install windows, or repair it, it just scrolls through some things at the bottom (like it's loading something), and then says "Starting Windows...", and goes to the self test screen.

Triple6

Rob
You should get a "Press Any Key to Boot from CD" message when you have the Windows XP CD in the drive.

However this is pointless if the computer refuses to complete POST successfully each time.

NTL

Triple6 said:
However this is pointless if the computer refuses to complete POST successfully each time.
Since this is the case is my problem most likely a defective motherboard, correct?

If so can anyone give me the MSI tech support phone number, if one exists. I have searched for one, but havent found it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online