1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems With New Install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by KomputerKid, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KomputerKid

KomputerKid Thread Starter

Hey guys. I decided to try Linux so I installed Linux Mint 17 on a separate HDD with Windows 8.1 on the other hoping to dual boot.

1st problem: With both drives plugged in it'll only boot Linux. If I unplug the drive Linux is on I can boot Windows. No option to pick which one to boot.

2nd problem: On the live disk I was able to open my music, photos, videos etc but after I installed it I can neither open them or save to the partitions they're in. This is the message I get each time I try.

Error mounting /dev/sda7 at /media/lighthouse/Other: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda7" "/media/lighthouse/Sounds"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda7': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1) Were both hard drives plugged in when you installed? If not, that is why.

2) In light of "shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting)" did you disable Fast Startup and shut down?

3. KomputerKid

Thank you Terry, I think you are right about both. I didn't have them both plugged in when I installed it. Shortly I'll go back to Windows 8.1 and disable fast start up.

4. KomputerKid

I disabled Fast Startup and it solved that. I haven't tried reinstalling Linux yet but I will.

Thanks for the help.

5. KomputerKid

I reinstalled Linux with both drives connected but it still doesn't dual boot. It went strait to Linux.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm probably not going to be of much help with this. Lots of little things that can go wrong, and I'm certainly not up to date on what all those are. I've dual booted, but with only one hard drive and it's been awhile since I've installed a Linux distro.

There may be special issues involving GPT disks or UEFI firmware (do you have either or both?).

In the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file is there any mention of the Windows installation? What is the TIMEOUT value?

Please see How to Configure the GRUB2 Boot Loader’s Settings for some background information and some ideas.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. KomputerKid

Please don't recommend that video to anyone else. The program it suggested put malware on my computer. I'm still trying to get rid of it after 8 hours. It's an adware program called Ads by Roll Around. It also installed Optimizer pro which I knew was also malware but got rid of it easy. I'm not complaining as I know you didn't know but just a heads up for the future.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know what the video recommended, but I use the free EasyBCD for that. You have to be careful on that site, as they try to get you to buy or download other stuff.

10. KomputerKid

That is what it recommended. Not sure what I did wrong but it hasn't been a fun day. I guess one more plug for using Linux.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    EasyBCD is a legit program, I've used it for years.

Where did you download it from ?
    This is the EasyBCD maker's download page :- https://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1

Just scroll to the bottom and get the free version, you can skip entering an Email address and just click on Register to get the download. That version doesn't install anything else.

EDIT : there are a lot of online guides for removing Ads by Roll Around, I hope they help you get rid of it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice