1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with notebook SATA to USB adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mflood86, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mflood86

mflood86 Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I have a notebook that recently died on me, and I'm trying to back up the data from this drive. The drive is a: "40.0GB SATA II hard disk drive - 5400 RPM, 2.5-inch form factor, 9.5MM thick - with bracket". I purchased a SATA to USB adapter kit, which claimed to support all sizes of SATA and IDE drives. Unfortunately, the provided adapter does not fit the drive. I tried to take a picture of the problem, but it's a bit blurry, so this may or may not help.

[​IMG]

Point is, the connector on the hard drive does not appear to be a typical SATA connection. Nor is it an IDE of some sort. The only difference I can think of is that the HDD is a SATA II drive. . .are the connections for SATA II a different size/shape than standard SATA?

Anyway. I'm not sure what the issue is, so if you can point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged. Thanks! :)

2. MKS

MKS

3. mflood86

mflood86 Thread Starter

It's a fujitsu drive, model number MHV20409H. Dunno if that'll help you, 'cause I couldn't find any info on it with a quick google. It says Serial ATA right on it, and the hp parts store confirms it as a SATA II device.

It came out of a Compaq Presario V3000Z CTO notebook.

Thanks for your interest. :)

4. MKS

MKS

5. mflood86

mflood86 Thread Starter

I would say that looks like exactly the one, MKS. I apologize for the mistake on the 9/B. It's smudged and hard to read. My bad.

Anyway, I see the serial cabling thing that you're talking about. What exactly does that tell you/me? :) Do you know what cable I need, now that you're familiar with the model?

(Thanks so much for your continued help on this)

6. MKS

MKS

According to this website: http://www.superwarehouse.com/Fujitsu_Mobile_40_GB_Internal_Hard_Drive/MHV2040BH/p/641817
    It connects via a Serial ATA-150 interface.
    I couldn't find a direct to USB converted but maybe you'll have better luck. If you needed too you could get a Sata PCI card and a Sata cable and do it that way.
    Examples
    Card:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009
    Cable:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105912
    I think it connects to the smaller plug to the right? Sata interfaces are usally less then a inch long.
    Sorry, i'm more of a last gen PATA person. I'm still getting use to the SATA thing.

7. mflood86

mflood86 Thread Starter

Hmm. Well, thanks for the help, but I honestly can't think of any reason why this shouldn't work. HDD is Sata, adapter is SATA. It even says SATA right on the cable. :p

If anyone else has any ideas about this, I'd be grateful. For now though, I guess I'll just. . .try to figure something out. lol Thanks again MKS!

8. mflood86

mflood86 Thread Starter

Solved, figured it out. Turns out that some certain laptops have adapters that go over the actual SATA connections, so that the hard drive can lay down flat onto the pins, rather than being pushed onto them. Hard to describe, but that was the case. The issue was that the adapter looked for all the world like part of the hard drive itself, and the connections were similar enough to the real ones that I didn't know the difference. And of course I couldn't find that in the compaq documentation anyway.

/sigh.

Anyway, figured it out, and a big thanks to MKS for working with me on it. Helped me rule out a lot of things. :)

Cheers guys.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice