1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with old HDD in external enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by downriver, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

I posted this question earlier, but got no responses and the thread was closed. I have taken the boot drive out of a dead machine (bad board) and put it into an external enclosure so that I can move stuff and, eventually, use the drive for backups, etc.

I can access the drive fine, but when it is powered on I get constant messages about problems "saving the mft." Sometimes the whole system will crash at that point. More often, when I turn the external drive off (it has a switch), the whole system re-boots...

I've done this basic dance before (old drive into enclosure) and never had this problem. As far as I know, the old drive is still bootable, but I do not boot to it. Intuition suggests that the system still thinks that old drive is something to boot to, though I am not setup here to boot to any USB devices... (the enclosure is USB, obviously).

The only solution I can come up with myself is to spend the time and get everything I want off the drive in one process (rather than piece-meal) and then re-format it for storage use. I imagine that will work OK -- but the problem baffles me and, as said, has never happened before -- I currently have several such older drives in external cases, none of which shows these problems.

Can I whack some files on the old drive, rendering it non-bootable but still readable? If so, what files?

Alternately, can I use the "boot defrag" feature in my Diskeeper to defrag the mft on the problem drive? Will that accomplish anything? [Problem with this approach, though, is that I will have to have that drive turned on when I boot the system -- who knows what weirdness that might cause, even with the USB boot sequence turned off...

Thanks

2. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that the old HDD and the new system to which it is attached are both xp-pro sp3.

3. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

I guess this is a dead horse...

I can see that the crashing when I switch off the drive might be avoided by "safely removing" the thing first; in that regard, I can see why I'm getting no responses here. But it's this issue with the drive constantly trying to save its Master File Table and not being able to do so that is baffling me. None of my other drives cause this problem (and I have dozens of external drives). The system also crashes sometimes simply because it cannot save the MFT, and that's not a stupid error on my part... or is it...?

4. vicks

vicks

If you still are not receiving any reply, simply type in BUMP and that will move your post up in the que...
    I do not have the knowledge for what you are requesting help on.
    Vicks

5. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice