Problems with Partition Magic 8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Peaker

Hi guys,

Once again....more problems.

I'm having difficulty with Partition Magic.

Trying to partition a PC for a relation (after the OS went t*ts up). Have reformated, re-installed Windows 2000 Prof (prev XP).

HD is 120Gb. One partition currently but with 7.5Mb unallocated space.

When I try to create a new partition I get an error and it won't partition. Error is something like cross linked files or cross matched files. Something like that anyway.

Anybody got amny ideas what this is? And how to get around it?

Thanks,

Grant.

Just a really obvious answer is - is it a big problem just to have 7.5mb unallocated? i realise the situtation and it would annoy me too, but it may be easy just to leave it be.

Infact, if its NTFS, doesnt NTFS leave a few mb unallocated for some reason? i happen to remember this when installing XP...

Not 100% sure tho.

Late,

Cross linked files are not uncommon. You could try to fix them with scandisk.
My Computer, right click on drive letter, properties, tools, scandisk and have it fix problems it finds. After this completes successfully you should be able to use partition magic. But more importantly if you only have 7.5Mg free I would not try to partition.

1) The 7.8 Mb of unallocated space is in the end of a hard disk drive (it is created in order to allow Windows to convert basic disks into dynamic ones). In this case this unallocated space can be merged into an adjacent Primary partition / Logical disk in Extended partition.
I would imagine that If it was not created on purpose, then to leave it alone. I have the same sized partition at the end of my Master HD as well.
I also saw a thread about this one time of this space being added to the primary , and the OS (win2k)no longer booting - why this should happen I'm not sure, but thought you should know.

Peaker

Thanks folks,

I'll try your suggestions tonight, after I've finished sitting in th esun im garden drinking copious amounts of Vodka.

It's not that I'm trying to get rid of the 7.5Mb. I'm not bothered about that. I'm just trying to create another partition from the one huge partition I already have.

Thanks,

Peaker.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online