Problems with PC Chips Motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mpd2436

I just installed PCCHIPS Model # M848A motherboard in my computer with an Athlon XP 2400 Processor. I removed this processor from this case and old motherboard where it was working fine. I reconnected everything to the new board but can't get it to even boot up. Originally it wouldn't even power up. I changed the cmos jumper and got the processor fan and video card fans to power up but nothing else not even the LED's on the front of the case. Please help.

reseat all peripherals. Check HSF installation. Try running the system with only the bare essentials(CPU, Vid card, RAM). See if it will post then add one peripheral at a time.

mpd2436

Grips I am a beginner at this so please bare with me. What is the HSF installation. I did try to run the system with just the cpu,ram,video card, and hard drive. The cpu and video card fans powered up but that was it. Are you saying to unplug the hard drive and try it again?

HSF=Heat Sink Fan. The cooler for your CPU.

Yes, when i suggested stripping down to the bare essentials i mean just the cpu, vid card, ram. Disconnect the hard drive and see if it will POST(Power On Self Test).

mpd2436

Thats what I thought you meant but wasn't sure. I did what you said but nothing, just the fans turned on. I finally pulled out the motherboard and reinstalled the old one (which was working before I pulled it out ). When I hooked up the old board I got the same thing, fans and nothing else. Where do I look for the problem now ?(processor maybe) PS: The reason I was replacing the motherboard in the 1st place was because I had an intermittant problem with the computer not booting up. I would shut it down and try later and it would boot right up. I've tried 3 different hard drives and it did it with all of them so I don't think that's part of the problem.

Your motherboard may require a second 4-pin power lead to be connected from the PSU. Not connecting this would result in the fans working but no POST or boot.

If you have tried all the basics as grips suggested maybe the power supply is failing , this is quite common with stock units. Can you borrow a spare to eliminate it.

When you said in your opening post, "I changed the cmos jumper", did you mean that you re-set it on pins 2&3, and put it back to pins 1&2 default ?
If not, then maybe this could be a reason...

It was just an observation...

I'm affraid neweggs info is BS, pcchips site shows many cpu with 266 yours included

mpd2436

I didn't see another spot for a 4pin connector. The plug on the MB was the same as my old MB. I have a 512mg chip of PC2700 in it. My cpu is a 266fsb. The cmos jumper was preset to 1&2. It didn't work, only the fans. I set it to 2&3 and got nothing at all. Reset it back to 1&2 and only got the fans working again. I haven't tried another power supply but this one seems to work fine. When I turn it on everything seems to power up it just doesn't boot. When I replaced the new MB with the old one it no longer boots up either now. I checked the HD and memory in my other computer and they work fine. I couldn't check the cpu as my other system is a P4. I do have another power supply to try. Anyone think it might be the processor?

your psu has 3 voltages if one is dead or off spec, your pc wont post but there may be activity caused by the other 2 voltage rails.

mpd2436

Oh ok I will change out the power supply and see what happens, thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online