1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with playing video and scankdisk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Spop, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

When I try to load a video in full screen in Windows ME, I get a black screen that reads PC test; then it disappears and my monitor light blinks on and off. The only thing I can do next is do a cold reboot, but when I do a cold reboot windows loads scandisk and freezes up

Please help:confused:

2. monted

monted

just out of curiousity, does it freeze up if you just try to scan your disk normally?

3. tushkahoma

tushkahoma

What are the settings?

4. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I don't really like running scandisk. I use another ultility to check my computer, but I know when I used to use scan disk it locked up in through test mode

5. tushkahoma

tushkahoma

What sort of video card do you have? 16mg 32, and what are the display settings? 800x600 1024x768? what do you have. And what program are you using to watch the video with?

6. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I have a Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics card(pre-installed with the computer). My display settings are 800X600. I'm using quicktime, real, and windows media players. the problem happens with I make the movie screen bigger now, but it didn't used to do that.

7. monted

monted

8. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I installed the software and ran it. It did not find anything wrong with my video or scandisk, but I still have the same problem:(

9. monted

monted

IntelĀ® 82810 Graphics Controller

Is this your graphics controller?If so you may want to install a newer driver: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/4666/eng/win9xe67.exe&agr=N

This one is dated 8/23/2002

You might also try(2nd):

Advanced Graphics Settings
    Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me has a built-in method for troubleshooting video problems. There is a slider you can adjust to change the way Windows uses the video card. It is a good idea to start with the setting on the right (the Full setting) and move the slider one setting to the left until you find the setting that works best. To use the slider to change the way Windows uses the video card, follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, double-click System.
    Click the Performance tab, and then click Graphics.
    Note that the Hardware Acceleration slider has four settings (Full, Most, Basic, and None).

10. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

My computer already uses my video card at its fullest and I am downloading my new driver now. I will let you know the results as soon as I test it out.

11. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

Now since I downloaded the upgrade driver, when I try to play video I get a blue screen error with the file named VMM (01) or an error with DSOUND:(

12. monted

monted

What exactly does the error say?I'd like to know.

I guess the thing to do would be to roll back the driver.

Go to the device manager and select the device in the list, then go to the driver tab, then to update driver. Have it find the driver(the recommended method) and see if it finds the other driver. It will search and find the best driver. Make sure it doesn't install the same one again,but I don't think it will.

13. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

It say something like:

An Error has occured on page
    File name VMM (01) (xxxxxxxxxxsome kind of numbers)

Or

An Error has occured on page
    File name DSOUND (xxxxxxxxxxxxsome kind of numbers)

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you run dxdiag

What is the DirectX version you currently have installed? Have you updated it recently?

15. Spop

Spop Thread Starter

I have Direct X version 7.1 (4.07.01.3000) I have not updated my version but you just gave me an idea. I remember before I had this problem I installed an old PC game on my computer that had direct x in its install files.:eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice