1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with programs in vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rexgrant, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi
    Vista will be a good system when it gets of the ground.but all you brave people who have vista installed,What you need to know is that you do not have full administrator rights on your PC.You do not have the right to choose what driver is used on your pc.that is the reason so many programs are not working on vista.You can give yourself Full administrator rights but you will loose the tight security Vista gives you.
    To gets these full rights you need to make changes to Vista Tim Sneath of Microsoft tells you how to do it and the pro's and con's of doing it.
    What I have just said is fact and can be clarified with Microsoft.
    Best regard
    Rex

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I keep hearing this over and over, so far I haven't found a program I can't run that I need or use though.

Networking is a little trickier, thats about it.

Maybe some other 'pros' around here agree, maybe they've had issues... but for me its been clear sailing since... I don't know BETA 2?

3. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi there
    This is exactly what I said You are not in full control of your PC.If you have not yet had a problem then all you have loaded is recognize by Microsoft,This post is to advise members who have not yet read about the administrator set up of Vista.That they may have problems
    running programs and may need to visit the programs website to update drivers or get patches.It is not to Knock Vista.
    Regards
    Rex

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I can see that, but seems this is a better release then XP, or NT ever was. ME went ok as I remember but it was 98 3rd edition pretty much... ;)

All I'm saying is that I can't see any of these issues so many are screaming about and I've been running x64 exclusively since the RTM came out (A while now)

5. TechB

TechB

You are misinterpeting what Tim Sneath has said. In Vista you can do everything you did in XP. You just have to do it by different methods.

6. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi this is my last post on this subject
    Go to Tim Sneath blogs and type (Secret#4) in the search box.
    And I will agree with you when they have sorted out the problems with Vista and there is quite a few it will be better and safer than XP but at the moment a lot of users all over the world are having problems witch was to be expected.
    Regards
    Rex

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Turn off windows defender, turn off UAC and you can do anything you want in Vista. I agree I am giving up some of the "tighter security" but this is my machine not Billy Gates' rig. ;)

You can turn off the red warning shield in the task bar also. I can do anything I want in Vista. I am having some growing pains finding where things are hidden but I am figuring it out.

I provide my own security, the UAC and defender are great for those who do not know how to tighten up their machine but I didn't buy Vista so much for security. I bought it just so I can say.......................I have Vista Ultimate. :p (Actually, we will all end up with it eventually. I figured I might as well do it now. ;))

8. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi TechB
    Did you read Secrets#4 if you did you will know there is no way you can choose what drivers you want to load on you pc without Disabling UAC .
    I am not Misinterpeting what tim said.
    Rex

9. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi Skivvywaver
    You are correct.Well said(y) (y) Well it's four in the morning here in the UK the wife as just told me in no short words to switch that dammed thing off.Good night all
    Regards
    Rex

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yep, uninstall a device in device manager and delete the drivers at the same time. Then you can get away from the packaged drivers also.

Vista ultimate to me is like having XP pro and Media center edition wrapped in one OS with a shiny new look. I just do not quite understand why they changed the interface so much you have to search for common tasks.

Add/Remove programs is gone and is now just listed under programs and features. The run command is now hidden in accessories as is the command prompt. It brings back the old K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) train of thought.

I guess MS had to change the way you did things or it would have been called "shiny xpsp3".

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I do like the new Programs menu, and the cookie trails though. Shiny but nice ;)

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Well lOl, somebody had to try the OS. I signed as a beta tester but I'll be damned I could never get a hook on the download. After a few days of trying MS decided to ship disks but I was not about to pay to "test" software.

I bought it two days before it was released from Newegg but the creeps didn't ship until the release date. :mad: :D I like "most" things about the OS. When XP hit the scene, I hated it. This is an "easier" transition actually.

13. jmwills

jmwills

The only reason UAC is even in there becasue of all the newbs who can't run a toaster, much less a PC on a network. If you think netwokring is tough, trying adding Virutal PC's into y our LAN and see how Vista plays. Not well at all when Once Care is in there also.

One Care keep seeing the Virutal PC's as Open Networks and immediatley changes your access settings. Other than the pastel colors (which I HATE...can live with the transparency) vista is okay. Nothing to wake up the dead about, but okay.

14. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Oh ye of little faith. I,ve posted this so many times. If you want full Administrator rights, not the quasi rights which you have by default, go to RUN and type Control Userpasswords2. Select Advanced and then advanced again and users. Enable the Administrator account.
    Log off and log on again as Administrator. No need to turn off UAC or anything else - you now have FULL rights.

Time Sneath,s blogs were addressing the Vista Betas. I don't believe much has been posted since the RTM. The issues mentioned, have been mostly dealt with in the retail release.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice