1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with RAM/motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dosed, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dosed

Dosed Thread Starter

This is the list of components I have bought for a PC I am intending to use for gaming:

Motherboard: ASUS M5 A99X EVO
    Original RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (ID - CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)
    Replacement RAM: Corsair Dominator (ID - CMP8GX3M2A1600C9)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3 Cache Cache 125W Retail Boxed Processor
    Video Card: PowerColor HD 7850 V2 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    PSU: Corsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze PSU 3 Year Warranty

Anyway, here's a short version of what happened and what is happening currently.

I bought the components and attempted to put my PC together. I managed to get all the components together but couldn't get anything to display on my TV. I had some trouble fitting the RAM (because I'm an idiot) and managed to damage the XMS3 DDR3 RAM I had purchased. My motherboard has a system of LED lights which light up and indicate what component is causing the problem and the lights indicated it was the RAM, so naturally I thought it was because I had damaged the RAM and bought replacements of the exact same model.

They arrived and I still had the same error. I checked the motherboard manual and found out that this type of RAM wasn't compatible with my motherboard so I bought a set that was in the QVL. They arrived, and again I had the same error: the PC seems to start up, the power LED is on the motherboard, but a red LED remains glowing next to the RAM slots and there is no display whatsoever on my TV.

I have attempted to seat the RAM in all of the 4 slots: both in the blue slots, both in the black slots, singularly in a blue slot and singularly in a black slot but nothing seems to work. I have tried using the MemOK! button while starting the system with the RAM in various slot positions, and it still doesn't work. I heard that the computer should beep when starting up if there is an error, but it has never made any beeping noises (and I have checked if the speaker is plugged into the mobo, and it is.)

Just to give a clear picture of what set up I'm using I'm attempting to display through an HDTV using an HDMI cable (both of which I have never had display issues with). However, I have noticed that upon starting up the fan on my video card doesn't spin at all. I'm not sure if it ever has or not, or that this is an indication of it being improperly placed. All of the other fans, lights and doodads seem to work but the error LED light remains lit up next to the RAM lights regardless of whether the RAM is in the slots or not.

Any help will be much appreciated. Oh and this is my first PC build so please be gentle! I really have no grasp of technical jargon so if you could be as layman as possible that'd be great. Thanks!

I will also happily upload a video of me attempting to boot the PC if anyone doesn't understand what the problem is or thinks it might help diagnose it.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next thing I see is you used a builder series pw supply. Those are NOT intended for use in a gaming type machine. They are OK for a basic build ie an office computer with onboard video however they are just not up to running a gaming machine. Corsair does not build their own pw supplies; the regular line of corsairs are built by seasonic [very high quality] The builder series is mfg by CTW [maker of oem pw supplies] These are not even in the same league as a real corsair unit.

I am not saying this is the cause of your problem however it is analogous to buying a new Corvette and putting in cheap oil, cheapest replacement parts, etc.

3. Simba7

Simba7

I'm not eyeballing the PSU, but I am possibly eyeballing the DDR3 RAM slot.

Did you possibly damage the motherboard?

4. Dosed

Dosed Thread Starter

I attempted the tests on the guide to do with non-POST problems. I removed the mobo from the case and installed all the components suggested in the guide. I did realise (thanks to the guide) that my graphics card needs an additional power PCIE cable from the PSU, but when I plugged it in I was still getting the same problems as I was when the mobo was in the case.

The red LED light remains lit up next to the RAM slots and there's no display on my TV.

I probably have damaged the motherboard but I don't really know how to check as I don't know anyone else who is building/has built or has any knowledge of building a PC. So there's no way for me to test with components that I know are in working order.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do not have access to known good parts, then your only other option is to take it to a shop for diagnosis. Most shops will charge at least 1hr labor to do this for you; do get an estimate prior to having anything done.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice