1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems With RAM.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uthanatos, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

PC Curent Set Up.

M/B AsRock M4V800
    CPU Intel Celeron 2.66Ghz
    512MB DDR1 RAM

I recently bought an extra module of RAM (a 512MB PC3200 from Kingston), and it just doesnt work.
    When i put the new RAM alone the system is not able to load the BIOS and when i put it with the old Module with the old one to the First DiMM windows load just fine, but every time it tries to Rea/Write from the new RAM it crashes.
    I have the fealling that if i Format my HDD and re install windows in my PC everything will be fine, not sure tho, any thoughs?:)

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Don't think so. PC3200 is DDR2. Your system doesn't support it.

Courtney sends...

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If the RAM fits the MOBO slot, it is definitely DDR1. It looks like you probably have a bad stick of RAM, or timings not compatible with your MOBO. You can make a bootable Memtest86 CD and test the RAM. http://memtest.org/

4. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

Specs

Storage Capacity 512 MB x 1
    Upgrade Type Industry standard
    Technology DDR SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
    Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    CAS Latency CL3

5. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

A bad stick was what i thought at strt, so i got myself to the shop once again and changed the module, i dont think that i got 2 kingston bad sticks in the row. Been using these momories for years and i am pretty sutisfied till now, i will check out the link later:)

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

It is not a "bad stick" of ram necessarily. People think you can go buy any old ram the same speed and plug it in and it works.This is so far from the truth. You need to match Ecc, density, cas latency and finally speed of ram. i have seen two exactly same models from different batches not work in same system. This is why you go to configurators on www:kingston,corsair or crucial.com to find the model and buy only that.
    AsRock boards are Asus designed but built by Ecs, who only understand crap and they are highly fussy with ram to begin with.

7. uthanatos

uthanatos Thread Starter

Alltho i checked the characteristics of the new RAM and the M/B it seems that i have forgotten something and i bought the wrong RAM. that was a waste of 50 Euros, thanx for the info, and your time:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice