Problems with re-installed Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mike2111 🎂

It's my birthday!
My 11 year old basic spec laptop used as a spare was impossibly slow with Windows 10 1909, and I was going to ditch it, but instead I did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 from a 10 year old disk. The result was amazing, nearly as fast as my desktop, but there are problems, probably mainly due to Windows update not working, error code 80072EFE. Affinity needed Microsoft.net installer but it would not load; cannot download Edge, it needed to be allowed by the Firewall – switched firewall off to no avail – KB2937636. Avast Free is installed.

A log file is attached – quite short.

Can these issues be resolved or do I need to download a copy of Windows 7, which would presumably be much more recent than the one I used, and start all over again – it has taken several hours to re-load software.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20210327122021.000000+000

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 2

Total Physical RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 4 MB

Hard Drives: C: 306 GB (224 GB Free);

Motherboard: Acer Aspire 5742Z, ver V1.06, s/n Base Board Serial Number

System: Acer, ver ACRSYS - 1, s/n LXR4P020080393FD2C1601

Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

mike2111 🎂

It's my birthday!
Thank you. I should have read that before I re-installed; unfortunately I am unable now to install any of the updates you list because update will not work. Hopefully there is a way to get updates working but if not I presumably will have to start all over again by downloading an ISO of Windows 7 and following your instructions.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
In post #1, you said I did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 from a 10 year old disk.
Where did you obtain that disc from, and is it an original one?
Can you submit an image of it so we can see what's on its label?

My advice would be to start over and do it right.
If you need a clean ISO of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit so you can start over, you can download it from here:
https://the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso
It's the English version and is 3.09 GB in size.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

texasbullet

Ramon
I also had this problem when I was making a fresh install to a friends laptop who she wanted W10 installed on her laptop but was not successful due to that her laptop was not compatible with W10. I was able to install Windows 7 again and drivers but was not able to install the updates. I tried Frank's suggestion and still no luck. I just got too many errors on the download sites. Since there are no more updates for over a year I just decided not to install them. I told her not to use the internet on the laptop too much for security risks but now that is up to her to decide. I think that she has another computer with W10 but not sure about it.

mike2111 🎂

It's my birthday!
Thank you for your interesting post -I have downloaded the ISO but now, having second thoughts about a new re-install - it would take many hours to get to where the laptop is now and I might still have the same trouble; maybe better to settle for what I have now - it is only a backup computer. Will give it a few days.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Doing a clean re-install of Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and using the guide in post #2 to bring it up to date to January 2020 and installing necessary drivers and necessary third-party apps and configuring everything to personal taste is an "all day" job for most people.
I've resurrected and re-done numerous Windows 7 SP1 64-bit computers over the years, so I've learned how to reduce the time to 5 - 6 hours.

Your Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit disc looks fine, so I don't see why you would have an issue with it.

-------------------------------------------------

Windows update will not work because the OS is out-of-support. but you can try updating all your programs and drivers manually.

just wondering, why are you using a 11 year old laptop? Is it to see how its works again or are you trying to use this for something.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows update will not work because the OS is out-of-support.
Windows Update for Windows 7 SP1 still works fine.
I used it 3 days ago while servicing and repairing a friend's computer.
(y)

--------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
just wondering, why are you using a 11 year old laptop?
Not all of us want, or can afford, the latest and greatest. My husband and I surf on old netbooks. His was purchased in 2011 and mine was purchased in 2013. We are in our 70's. I keep the netbooks functioning well and have the latest patched browsers and malwarebytes running with real time protection.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
To add to what Liz said:
I own a Dell Precision M6400 WorkStation 17.3" laptop which is 12 years old.
I purchased it refurbished in 2014 with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.
I later upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
It works fine and is up to date to March 2021.
Why should I get rid of it because it's 12 years old?

-------------------------------------------------

Why should I get rid of it because it's 12 years old?
If its works fast enough for you, no need to.
The thing is that old hardware is not being patched anymore and the websites and programs you use do.
at some point things are gonna be incompatible.
Newer hardware and newer firmware will result in better functionality for sites and programs. even if you dont notice it.

mike2111 🎂

It's my birthday!
I made a windows 7 iso and ran verification after burning to a DVD. I ran the ISO and installation failed after about 20 minutes - corrupted file/faulty RAM/faulty hard drive - I do not think any of those is correct as it installed, albeit with subsequent problems, from a 2011 installation disk. Fortunately the computer still booted to its former state. I shall leave it at that - it belonged to my wife so has sentimental value.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts