1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with reinstalling windows- help please!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kt__08, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kt__08

kt__08 Thread Starter

Our family computer was working HORRIBLY! It was full of adware, spyware, viruses , etc. It was so bad that it disabled norton and so we bought a new version. We had to uninstall the old one, and once we did, it wouldn't let us install the new one. It got worse and worse until we decided the only option was to erase everything and start fresh.
    I located a disk that said 'installation disc' it was the only one that looked like it could be used for installing windows, so I took it over to the computer. I used a program called Darik's Boot and Nuke to erase everything. After I finished, it brought up a black screen with white writing that said something like 'please select proper boot disc and enter a disc' I put in my disc... It wouldn't recognize it. Eventually I came to the realization that this was not the right disc, and in fact , our computer didn't come with one! My dad brought home the windows installation cd that came with his dell computer at work. I put it in, and it appeared to be working, eventually asking me to agree to their terms. i tried to press F8 to agree.. but it did not do anything. Eventually out of frustration, I pressed ESC. Since then , I can't get that disc to load or anything. All the computer does now is sit black with a flashing white underscore. I'm not even sure if anyone can help me.. but I'd very much appreciate any assistance :)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You need to contact your computer manufacturer, give them the model and serial number of your machine and order a set of recovery disks.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say what version of Windows was running in that computer, so I'll assume that it was Windows XP Home Edition.

My advice would be to buy a "full" version CD of the operating system. Once you have it, you can boot from the CD, allow it to format the hard drive, then allow it to do a fresh install of the operating system.

If that's what you decide to do, I'll give you the step-by-step procedure to follow.

Personally, I don't think you'll have much luck getting a new recovery/restore CD.

A recovery/restore CD is designed to work ONLY with the same brand name, model name, and model number computer that it was made for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. lunchbox

lunchbox

most of the time the manufacturer do have the rcds.

5. kt__08

kt__08 Thread Starter

update- we have the xp pro version now, but it will not boot up. The screen still remains black with a flashing underscore. It has been stuck in this state ever since I tried to install windows from my dad's work cd of windows.
    What should I do?? Anything more I can do? or take it to staples or some computer store? I'd prefer to fix it myself if possible..

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the make and model number of the troubled computer? From the description of the problem it sounds like you may have a Compaq or HP machine.

After you wiped the disk with DBAN, what was the name of the disk you originally put into the computer?

After you attempted an installation with the Dell recovery disk, did that disk format or attempt to format the hard drive?

Do you have a floppy drive?

Can you access BIOS?

7. kt__08

kt__08 Thread Starter

Thank you for the help, but it's working now! Shortly after I replied to the post for the second time we got it working. short story is that somehow cd drive was loading 3rd. Got into bios and changed it to second and then it worked!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!