Problems with removing Nortons System Works 2002

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

westygirl

I purchased a boxed PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 to replace Nortons System Works 2002 including NAV for my PC running XP Pro.
As I was installing PC-cillin it said it would remove Norton Antivirus for me. When I tried to finish the install it said NAV was still present. I uninstalled NAV from Add/Remove Programs and it disappeared from Currently Installed Programs list. But when I looked on my computer NAV was still all in the folder. I then uninstalled Norton SystemWorks via Add/Remove programs Probably not a wise move. However, NAV still was there in its folder.
So I went into the folder and manually deleted all the files from the computer.
I still couldn't install P-Cillin because it continued to detected NAV and wouldn't proceed with the install.

I now realise from reading many posts here that NAV has many embedded references throughout the Registry. Is there a registry cleaning method that doesn't involve manually going through looking for references to delete. I did try to do that in RegEdit but after 90 minutes I hadn't got far. Was it ok to use Find in RegEdit? I asked for "Nortons" and did delete them that way. Any other words I should have been searching for. It was pretty scary and I hadn't backed up the Registry. How should I do that?

Symantec no longer supports 2002 and said they couldn't help me. Would appreciate any advice or warnings.
Thanks.

WG

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Please read well this page> part of it pertains to OTHER versions, and operating systems, so be sure you are using directions (Copy the correct ones, or print them out) for your XP system and for NSW 2002>

"""How to uninstall NSW when the Windows uninstall utility does not work"""

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...&ver=&pcode=&src=&miniver=&tpre=&prev=&dtype=

The page below is an even better version of the uninstall directions> again, be sure you are looking at the correct steps!

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...&ver=&pcode=&src=&miniver=&tpre=&prev=&dtype=

You will need the SYMClean utility shown. You MAY need to use the manual cleanup method if the utility does not work for you. The manual method shows you exactly what Registry items to remove, but it sure is not for the inexperienced, there are many entries scattered through the Registry and you might find it a long, tedious process, but it should work. Hopefully the Symantec removal cleanup tool does the trick for you. Good luck.

westygirl

Dear Byteman,
Thank your for the advice for removal of NSW 2002. I used the SYMclean utility as you suggested - it said everything had been removed.

But I still couldn't install PC-Cillin IS2005 as it kept detecting Nortons. I went to the uninstall directions for manual uninstallation but the link is not supported by Symantec any more. So no details were available.

I backed up the Registry and then went into RegEdit and tried to find any reference to Nortons, Symantec and NAV but couldn't find many. So I downloaded a copy of Registry Cleaner and it removed many references to Nortons and in the end nothing was left for it to remove and I ran the PC-Cillin install again but again got the error message that it detected Nortons.

So I gave up. I downloaded the free AVG Virus scanner and scanned computer and found a Trojan Downloader which might have been the problem and AVG put it into the Vault. I then went online and used Trend Micro's HouseCall Free Scanner, which showed nothing on the computer. So I am leaving it there - quite defeated. I have installed my $A99 copy of PC-Cillin on my own computer at home. So it hasn't gone to waste its just that my husband's computer that had the NSW 2002 on it is now not so protected I imagine even if I have succeeded in cleaning it up for the moment and putting AVG on it.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I hate to leave it this way.
Regards
Westygirl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online