1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems With Router LAN Ports

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SCADAczar, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SCADAczar

SCADAczar Thread Starter

I have had my home network running without any problems for 4 years now. It consists of 2 laptops (XP Home) and 1 desktop PC (Windows ME) all connected to a D-Link DI-713P wireless router. The 2 laptops access the Internet via Wi-Fi and the PC uses one of the LAN ports on the router. Starting earlier this week, the PC is no longer able to access the Internet or the router through a LAN port. As soon as I turn on the PC the LAN activity LED on the router starts flashing constantly and never stops until I turn off the PC. I've changed LAN ports on the router but I get the same results. I plugged a laptop into one of the LAN ports and the correpsonding LED constantly flashes as soon as the laptop's power is turned but I still cannot access the router or the Internet. The laptop shows that a network cable is plugged in but it indicates poor or no connectivity. Wireless access to the router and the Internet has not been affected and rebooting the router hasn't helped either. D-Link no longer provides tech supoort for this router and I've scoured the Intenet for ideas wthout any luck. Has my router gone belly up?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you tried hard resetting the router or doing a firmware update?

It sure is sounding like a hardware problem though.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using just one cable for both computers, it could be a cable problem. In addition to StumpedTechy's two things, make sure you have a good cable.

4. SCADAczar

SCADAczar Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I have tried both different cables and different ports with the same results. As soon as the PC power switch is turned on, the activity LED on the router begins to rapidly flash. I can't even ping the router. All I get is a "destination host unreachable" message from the ping command. D-Link hasn't had a firmware update for this router since 2002 and I updated the firmware when I purchased and installed the router in Dec. 2002 and it has worked flawlessly since day one. The only thing I haven't tried is the hard reset but I have rebooted and turned it off for several minutes and then back on. I'm a little cautious about doing the reset as I'm worried about screwing up the wireless connections since that is working OK. I'm beginning to think that for the price I should bite the bullet and replace this 802.11b setup with a newer 802.11g.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice