1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alabasterclock, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alabasterclock

alabasterclock Thread Starter

Hello! So right to it. My household has a Linksy WRT54G v.3 wireless router. Today, one of the family members decided they anted to use wireless adapter so that they could move their desktop from the office to their bedroom... All was well and good save the fact that instead of hooking the adapter up to the computer, they hooked it directly into the router. Since that point in time, the router has stopped broadcasting, the light won't come on nothing. I have thus far reset the router, did a power cycle, unhooked everything and nothing has worked. So now five of us are cramped up in a room so we can all have a direct connection, I assure you it is as uncomfortable as uncomfortable can be -- the room is very tiny :(

If you can think of any solution, it would be greatly appreciated :D

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You say the light doesn't come on, so to me that means it isn't getting any power at all to turn on?

3. alabasterclock

Oh, no no, to clarify, the light are coming on, it's specifically the "WAN" light that isnt, sorry for the confusion.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would just go into the settings of the router and check them out. Your going to have to take an ethernet cable and plug it into your computer and plug the other end into the router, not the wan port. Then, in a browser, type the IP address of the router. It should be on the bottom of the router. Typically, it's either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

5. alabasterclock

Already tried that, I just get, "No Data Returned."

6. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    you mean you put in the ip address of the router and get a screen that says "no data returned"?

7. alabasterclock

Yes, or, more specifically, no data received, I just checked again.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Well, obviously the problem should be with the router, but I don't know what else you can do in regards to the router. You have unplugged it all, power cycled it, and tried accessing it. I don't know of any other way to access the router, unless the problem lies with your computer, which it shouldn't. Can you do an ipconfig/all in the command prompt, and report what you receive.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how did they do that !!

The router only has LAN connections and no USB connections - did they force it into one of the ports ?
    was that a full reset using the reset button on the back and holding it in for 10-20seconds

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Based on etaf's answer, and what you said about the wan link light not working, if they plugged the wireless adapter into the wan port, they might have damaged that port, and that could be why it isn't working, but that wouldn't explain why you can't get into the configurations of the router.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice