1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with screen print

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jampot, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Hi,

On occasion I would like to include a screen print in my posting to give others a better idea of the problem.

I have used the normal method of 'Alt +Screen Print - Control +V but find that the image, when pasted from 'Paint' is too large for the posting.

Is there a way of somehow 'shrinking' the screen image so that it can be viewed in the posting. I have seen others include screen prints when replying to my own postings and would like to be able to do it also!

I have seen paid applications but would prefer a freebie if possible!

Thanks

2. lister

lister

Resizing is a function of the Image editing software. Paint is very basic.

However, you can resize in MSPaint by going to, Image -> Stretch/Skew and change the 2 values in Stretch to a smaller percentage (same percentage for both).

Alternatively:
    Irfanview is an excellent Image Viewer with some very good extras - it handles resizing particularly well; and has a built in simple Capture utility.

3. bearbottoms

bearbottoms

4. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Thanks for advice. Will give all options a try to see which suits.

5. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Have tried both Printkey and Irfanview - when image is captured it still has banner along the top stating 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' with the usual array of options along the bottom - 'rotate', etc I'm sure when I have seen screen shots before all that can be seen is the actual screen shot itself without the 'extras'

Is this possible or did I just imagine it? It would be useful if a reply could include an actual screen shot for comparison, ideally with 'Printkey' as this seems the easiest application to get to grips with.

Thanks again.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I'm not sure why you have an issue with paint. Using the technique you described, I can post images without any issue. The one step you may be missing is saving is as a JPG, not a BMP. Here's a sample, it is a 41kb JPG file.

Attached Files:

• test.JPG
      test.JPG
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  7. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Hi,

The screen print you provide is a thumbnail which when clicked expands into the actual screen shot.

What I am trying to achieve is when the screen shot itself is 'embedded' in the actual posting ie the screen shot can be seen along with the text of the posting. Is this possible with 'Paint'

Thanks

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you looking to do something like this? [​IMG]

If so, it has nothing to do with the actual image format, pictures like this are hosted on the Internet, not attached to the message using the "Manage Attachments" feature. [​IMG]

9. cool breeze

cool breeze

Thanks for the picture John, wicked and funny.Makes a good saver.

10. bearbottoms

bearbottoms

When you use print screen, it takes a snap shot of the whole 'window' you have active. The utilize the "box or rectangle" button at the top to select by clicking and dragging a box around the exact area you wish to capture and hit "enter." Then press the copy button. The image will be captured on your clip board. Then paste the image into a word document orspreadsheet or email or whatever document you want the image. Resize it by clicking on the image to bring up the "handles" and click and drag a corner of the image to the size you want. If you want to add text, get the drawing tool bar and select the text box....click on the image and drag open a text box...put your text in it....etc.

11. bearbottoms

bearbottoms

Jampot....send your phone number to bearbottoms1(at)cox.net and I will call you and walk you through this. I have VoIP so the call doesn't cost me anything as long as your in the US, Canada, or Pureto Ricoooooo.

*** Mod Edit *** I "altered" your email address so the scanning bots won't find it and bury you with SPAM. :)

12. bearbottoms

bearbottoms

To put text on the picture in Paint, so it becomes part of the image, first save the image as a .bmp on your desktop or hard drive some where. Then open it in paint. Then use the character tool in paint to place text on the image and save it. Voila, you have text on the image itself, instead of an embedded text box like from MSword or MSexcel or OOocalc or granny's apron.

13. wilson44512

wilson44512

14. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

bearbottoms - thanks for that. So that's what that rectangle icon was for!

Think things are OK now.

Thanks to all who posted - it's appreciated.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice