1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with second hard drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robwoolly, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Hi folks

I was experiencing some problems last week with my PC not booting up properly, it was freezing on the windows xp Knight rider screen and was giving me a whole bunch of issues.

I ripped everything out of the machine and tried it with the bare minimum of components plugged in i.e. harddrive and dvd drive. Still no good.

So I though I would install Windows XP on a spare hard drive that I have and then plug in the other hard drive a secondary drive and see if there is anything that I can do with it.

Windows XP installed no problem pc now starts up OK, plugged in the original hard drive as a slave and on boot up the pc detects the drive no problems, then goes to the windows startup screen, but once it leaves this screen rather than going into windows I just get a black screen??

Any ideas? If I remove the secondary hard drive then no problems. I am guessing it could be something wrong with the hard drive, but I have a whole bunch of stuff on there that I really need to pull off before I do anything with it. Anybody have any ideas of the best way to solve this problem?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

How is the secondary drive hook up to the PC ie> what are the jumper switches set at on the HDD's and are you using the primary IDE or secondary....??

3. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Both drives are on IDE1 cable, the hard drive with the new install of XP is set to be the master and the problem drive is set to be slave.

I now get the screen where it apologizes for windows not starting successfully and gives me the options. As soon as I choose anything the system seems to freeze.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Try putting the secondary HDD on IDE2 as master...if that doesn't try Slave....also check to see if there is another setting on the HDD switches like Auto and try that.

5. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

OK, second hard drive onto IDE2 set as master, when I boot up the PC it detects them, but then seems to take an age to do anything, eventually I get a message saying disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter??

6. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

second hard drive also tried as slave on IDE2 same problem as above?!?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

OK so if you take out the secondary HDD the machine boots up ok.....Have you look in Bios for any settings that my help....press F2 or Del on startup

Are these HDD the same file systems eg: Fat32 or NTFS?

8. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

thats right mate, remove the problem HDD pc boots up fine, checked Bios couldnt find anything obvious. Not sure of the file systems, will this have an impact?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

ok first check the HDD the on that loads up and when it does go Start>My Computer and right click the HDD and choose properties and it will say if its Fat32 ot NTFS

10. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

Ok so now I am having more problems, even with the first hard drive..

I disconnected the problem HDD and tried to boot windows, when it starts up, it goes to the windows screen and then almost immediately cuts to a blue screen window apologizing for a problem and gives me an error message that says:

Fastfat.sys - Address F8C91BC4 base at F8C8D000, Datestamp 3b7de38a.

I now cannot start my pc at all?!?!?!?

11. bonk

bonk Banned

Is this Windows 2000 operating system??

12. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

No mate, XP

13. bonk

bonk Banned

Try re-seating all the memory(Ram) in the PC and blow the slot out too.

14. robwoolly

robwoolly Thread Starter

yeah that was my thoughts after reading peoples problems on another couple of posts here. One of the slots/memory modules does seem to be causing some problems. When there is memory in the slot the pc does a whole bunch of other weird and wonderful things that all result in the pc not booting.

15. MTDrew

MTDrew

so whats the list of current problem? still having trouble with your drive? and now your ram?
    while moving the hdd around have you been using the same power line?, for giggle lets replace it with the one from your cdrom

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice