1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems With Setting Up Wireless in Win98SE

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NT4.0, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

I have bought a wireless card for my computer and installed it onto the machine with all necessary drivers. The icons in the system tray shows that the connection speed is good; however, no actual connection is present -- all my applications (Web browsers, FTP, Antivirus updaters) refuse to detect any connection on my machine. Do I need a special configuration in the Networking Setup or any additional software?

2. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

Here are the parameters of my machine.

Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition
    Model: Compaq Presario S7300CL
    Processor: Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz
    D-Link Card: D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI
    Card

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi NT4.0,
    Do you have a wireless access point in your home ??
    Have you configured the access point according to the manufacturers instructions??
    Did you name the access connection??

4. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

yes the house owner has a wireless access point and it is working well in Windows XP but in Win98 it has problems described above. it is curious that the driver program shows good connection but in reality the card does not get an IP address, hence i cannot get online with any program. no there is no access connection because i don't know how to create a wireless connection. there are all available tools for dial-up connections but not for LAN/wireless. The Internet Connection Wizard just asks if I have dial-up or LAN and I choose LAN and then it says it saved all the info and finishes up running IE. i type the address but it does not work.

someone advised me to use the ipconfig /all utility, and this is the output.

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : PUTER

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No

NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.

Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Primary WINS Server . . . . :

Secondary WINS Server . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :

Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

might this be helpful?.....

5. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Hrm... Looks like you aren't getting an IP from the access point. Do you know if it is using WEP encryption? If so, you need to put the WEP key in the connection program in you computer.

Right click on the dlink icon. You should have an option for available connections, or site survey, or something. This will contain a list of all wireless nets available. Click on your network and click connect.... It should prompt you for the encryption key if you use wep, input the key here....

6. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

in XP it says it is not using any WEP, so that should be the same in 98 since the access point is the same.

when I right click on the dlink tray icon, there is the only option -- exit :) but when i double click on it there opens a window indicating that the speed is good (but in reality i have no actual connection). if i can post images here, i can screen capture this window.

7. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Hrm... actually... looking at the above...
    Run winipcfg, what options do you have for the adapter drop down?
    You should have one for your wireless card... what are its settings...

8. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

here is what winipcfg shows:

[​IMG]

and this is the options windows of the D-Link utility:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ppp.jpg
      ppp.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    • dlink.jpg
      dlink.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  9. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

And in winipcfg, do you have any other items in the dropdown list instead of ppp adapter? The ppp adapter is always there... It has nothing to do with this...

And in the dlink tool... Click on site survey... This should show any available wireless nets. Make sure you have the right one selected. Click the connect button. What happens?

Also, since you say you are not using wep... check the encryption section of the dlink prog... Make sure wep is disable there too...

10. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

no, there is only 1 item :( no other items besides PPP Adapter...

when i click connect, it shows the percentage as above, but i don't get actual connection anyway.

wep is disabled.

11. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

winipcfg should show your card.
    Check device manager and make sure the card is there with no conflicts.
    If not install the drivers for the card again.
    Click on your card, properties, see if your access point is listed and enabled.
    Go to ControlPanel, Network.
    Find your card in the box. Highlight it, select properties. Click on Bindings. Make sure you bind the wireless card to TCP/IP. Apply , ok reboot.
    Controlpanel again after reboot. Go back into Network and see if TCP/IP has your card bound to it. Try your connection.

12. Poolmannen

Poolmannen

D-Link Airplus utility isn´t perfect for win98.
    Had the same problem with my Dwl-520+.
    Uninst the utility, then reinst worked for me.
    Inst. guide say´s software need to be inst before inserting the card, but I doubt.

(Sorry, bad english?)

Poolmannen

13. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Looks like the DLink card isn't recognized as a network adapter by the OS yet. I'm not sure how to go about getting it recognized, but try adding an adapter under the network stuff...

The wireless connection looks good. If WEP were enabled, but wasn't configured on the laptop you wouldn't be "associated" with the SSID. Just need to get windows to recognize that the card is a network adapter...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice