1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with slow web pages...HELP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by devil chef, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. devil chef

devil chef Thread Starter

Hi all techguys, in the last couple of days my pc has been running slower when opening webpages, email etc and i am unsure as to what it could be. Web searches for example on google come up quick with the results but slow to open the entire page. It was working absolutely fine just a few days ago. My wife uses her laptop off of our wireless router and she has no problems. I have reset the router, system restored, deleted temp internet files, cache etc but still no joy.
    I do like to try and tweak my pc and have a program called advanced system care 4 which has lots of tweaking tools on it. I may of accidentally deleted something or turned off something which i wasnt meant to however i have used this tool many times in the past without incident. My Pc is usually very fast with no probs whatsoever so i am at a loss as to whats causing this slow...sluggishness and wander what you guys may be able to come up with. Many thanks all techies.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What browser(s)?

What non-Windows security applications?

Please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max.).

Try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. devil chef

i followed your instructions but its the same. Im running IE8 on windows 7.
    Without sounding too stupid, what do you mean by What non-Windows security applications?
    Will adjust signature accordingly.

4. devil chef

i should also say that i am in fact running IE9, i thought it was ie8, and downloads take an era, what would normally take 10-20 seconds now takres around an hour and unsure if its related and its a small thing but just noticed that the cursur doesnt flash just stays solid even when placed in a different area, you cant see it until you type,

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Firewall (except Windows'), security suite, anti-virus, anti-spyware (except Windows Defender).

What download speed do you get with Speedtest.net? What should you be getting?

6. devil chef

i have full avg 2011 internet security suite which includes anti virus and firewall. DL speed normally is around 5mbps but its reading 0.3mb! and upload is around 3ish normally and thats reading 0.4 mb. My wife who uses her laptop off the router has no troubles at all with hers and we normally use both the desktop and laptop together with no problems before. Maware fighter is emisofts A-squared but have downlkoaded that today to run for any malware, so far none.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall AVG and run the Remover. You may need to run the stack repairs again. You can reinstall AVG after testing.

8. devil chef

Does it matter that i have had avg for well over 6 months without issue only for it to happen all of a sudden?

9. devil chef

also unsure which remover to use

10. devil chef

I have now uninstalled avg via the remover link you sent, unfortunately this hasnt solved the problem and im really stuck. Would love to know whats causing it....starting to be a real pain in the......:(

11. devil chef

Hi all techguys, in the last couple of days my pc has been running slower when opening webpages, email etc and i am unsure as to what it could be. Web searches for example on google come up quick with the results but slow to open the entire page. It was working absolutely fine just a few days ago. My wife uses her laptop off of our wireless router and she has no problems. I have reset the router, system restored, deleted temp internet files, cache etc but still no joy.
    I do like to try and tweak my pc and have a program called advanced system care 4 which has lots of tweaking tools on it. I may of accidentally deleted something or turned off something which i wasnt meant to however i have used this tool many times in the past without incident. My Pc is usually very fast with no probs whatsoever so i am at a loss as to whats causing this slow...sluggishness and wander what you guys may be able to come up with. Many thanks all techies.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try a system restore to a date prior to using the systme care thing

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Merged your threads. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

14. devil chef

tried that and normal system restore as well...i even deleted the advanced system care incase that was it but no joy, thinkinig i may hvae to reset computer

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the problem with wireless or ethernet or both? If with only one does the other work OK?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice