Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problems with steady connection/having a connection

655 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a new and used PC from a friend. As soon as I got the PC everything was fine with my internet but after a week or two the internet starting to get really slow. All other devices that are currently connected to my Router are experiencing no issues however my computer has a very hard time connecting to anything. I will have a short burst of fast internet and then it goes completely slow for a long period of time. I'm not sure what kind of information I should supply to help solve the problem but I believe it has something to do with either my wireless adapter card (Trendnet n600) or the router settings for my computer.

Also whenever I troubleshoot it will automatically reset my wireless adapter and say that it has fixed the problem but the internet is still slow

#2 ·
Ignore DavidOnFleeks advice above. DO NOT EVER USE ANY KIND OF "SYSTEM MECHANIC" OR "SYSTEM OPTIMIZER" software. They will cause you a major headache and corrupt the OS.

Make and model of router would help.

Go to speedtest.net and run a speed test and post the results link back here in your next reply.

Next, what is the distance from this wireless computer to the router/AP?

#3 ·
Ignore DavidOnFleeks advice above. DO NOT EVER USE ANY KIND OF "SYSTEM MECHANIC" OR "SYSTEM OPTIMIZER" software. They will cause you a major headache and corrupt the OS.

Make and model of router would help.

Go to speedtest.net and run a speed test and post the results link back here in your next reply.

Next, what is the distance from this wireless computer to the router/AP?
As bad as it sounds I do not have a router, only a modem, my modem is a arris tg862g-ct from xfiniti.

My upload is 10.95 and my Download is 10.07. It is very far off (when using a VPN I recieve much higher)

The distance from my modem and my computer is about 1 story and 10 feet. The distance has never been a problem I used to have great internet. My internet has been slowly degrading on this specific device for the past couple of months and it has made it impossible for me to keep my sanity. It started off not so bad but now it is just down right terrible. If you would like any other information I would be happy to give it to you

#4 ·
Technically you DO HAVE A ROUTER. What Xfinity has provided you is an Arris TG862g wireless cable gateway modem/router AIO unit.

THis unit however, is very old and has poor wifi reception esp in the distances you are describing. I used to personally work for Comcast and know just how problematic the 862's were/are. I would recommend buying your own ROUTER and bridging it with your Xfinity Gateway for maximum performance.

The "throttling of speeds" in a "degrading" fashion is typical with the old 862 WG's ....that's one of the reason they were DISCONTINUED last year.

Secondly, a wireless gateway AIO unit is NEVER going to give the same wireless output performance as a stand alone router will/would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.