1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with SuSE live-eval

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by evilmrhenry, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry Thread Starter

OK, I just started messing around with the SuSE live-eval CD, and while most of my problems are now fixed, there are still a few snags I've hit.

I'm running it on a laptop, HP pavilion N3310.

One: The screen "flashes" a bit when updating. If not doing anything, the screen is fine, but when running anything that causes movement, either the brightness of the blacklight changes, or the brightness of the desktop changes. (I'm not sure which.)

Two: I'm trying to figure out the whole Linux program concept. My biggest problem is the "Start application" menu. The programs in it seem to be unaccessable by any other means. For example, the program XMMS is in there, but a global search for xmms* did not seem to turn up the program. (I'm trying to find it in order to drop it on the desktop)

2. lynch

lynch

Try looking in /usr/bin/x11/xmms.That's where it is on my SuSE 8.1 comp.
    I just received the Live-Eval CD yesterday and took it for a spin.
    It starts exactly like the YaST2 installation does in a regular SuSE installation except you cant choose packages.You can configure some hardware and you can even surf the 'net if you configure your modem.
    I like that you can play around with the X window settings using SaX2-it can save you a lot of trouble by doing it with the CD to test settings instead of the old hit-or-miss way when you have,say for instance, an unsupported monitor.
    You can put shortcut icons on the desktop for the current session, but unless you have an existing fat or ext2-3 or reiser partition where you can save settings(you may be able to put a blank floppy in the drive during the boot part and it might save settings to it:I dont know;will have to try it:) )you will have to redo those settings for each new session.
    HTH
    lynch

3. evilmrhenry

evilmrhenry Thread Starter

OK, some problems fixed, others remain. The flashing screen is a biggy; also, I'm having trouble finding the "Make" command. I've opened up basically every console window I could find, but it gives me an unrecognized command error. I've found where the programs are hiding, but it looks like that's taken off the CD, so no luck actually changing anything.

4. lynch

lynch

The SuSE Live-Eval CD is a bit different than others of it's ilk:it is more of a demo than anything although it does provide a good test to see how your hardware will behave in Linux.Knoppix has a CD like SuSE's but there is a way it can be installed on a hdd.
    The flashing screen may mean you need to lower your color depth.This being a laptop,I am not likely to be your best source of info on this subject as I dont currently or ever have used a laptop.I'm not sure about the screens and wouldnt want to suggest somthing that would ruin your machine.Having said that,lowering the color depth wont hurt.But you should check the /etc/x11/XF86Config file and look at the "screens" section to determine the current color depth.Also consult the laptop's user manual to see the ranges for,color depth,horizontal and vertical frequencies.
    lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!