1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with toshiba laptop.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by argenys, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

Hi, i am having trouble with one of my laptops, when i turn it on it sais,,,,,,insert system disk in drive, then is sais press any key when ready........but i don't know what disk it is talking about it, it isn't letting me in.......does anyone know what this could be or how i could fix it?.......

2. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

Actually first it sais PXE - E61 media test failure, check cable
    PXE- MOF Exiting intel boot agent, then it sais insert system disk in drive.

3. Claymore

Claymore

4. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

For some reason none of those worked.......i am even trying to install linux....cause i cant find the windows xp....

5. Claymore

Claymore

You may have better results with Linux since it has different hardware recognition, but this isn't a Windows software problem, it's an Intel or hardware problem, even possibly a borked hard drive or cable. Did you try all of the many fixes that worked for others? A Google search for "PXE-E61 media test failure" will get even more results.
    Luck!

6. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

hi thanks for the reply, and sorry for my late reply.........well i found a windows xp home edition cd, but it didn't let me install it becuase it said it my laptop did not have a hard drive.......i used a knoppix linux bootable disk and it loaded and worked fine, but i do not know how to install it on my hard drive, in other words i can use the inter ect with the cd in,......but onces i take the cd out i am at that black screen again that sais "buit - in HDD ERROR"......can anyone tell me how i can either install knoppix onces and for all on my laptop, or help me to figure out why it isn't letting me install the windows xp...........i googled where you told me but found no answers.....

Pascual

7. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

also if it is a hard drive problem how can i reset it so i can re install the windows xp from scratch......(i am no computer )

8. Claymore

Claymore

When you used the Linux "Live" CD were you able to access the hard drive from within Linux, i.e. were you able to see the files on the hard drive?

If you want to install Linux, you'll need a full version. Most are free. Ubuntu is one of the more popular:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

9. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

yes, when i used the knoppix cd i could get in and there was a desktop and i could surf the net and everything (execpt download things, but onces i took the cd out the program didn't work, only when the cd is in.......and i already downloaded the ubuntu OS and it is not letting me install it, it just asks what language then if i want to install it......then a bunh of numbers and letters come on a black screen but nothing happens, it also sais enter "help" for a list of commands but i do not know what to use or put since there are soo many and don't know what any of them are for.

10. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

is there any way of installing the knoppix cd right onto my hard drive throguh the cd?.....this is driving me nuts.......since it can boot from the knoppix cd i know that there isn't a problem with the hard drive...but when i try to install windows xp......it said it cant find a hard drive.....this is crazy,.....i tryd all the configurations possible on the the black screen when i press f1.....not sure if that is called BIOS or what ever.

11. Claymore

Claymore

The CD you used is called "Live" CD. Everything runs off the CD, not the hard drive. The hard drive isn't even necessary to run a Linux Live CD. My question was if your can "see" the hard drive from within Linux. You need to look for a folder called mnt. Within this are the CDROM and hard drives. They will be labeled like hd, hda1, hda2, hdb, depending on how many hard drives and partitions you have. You should be able to see the contents if there are any, but at least the hard drive should recognized.

12. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

ok....i will look into it right now......it m ight take me a while since i am not familiar with linux...........

13. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

ok i found a file named "mnt" from a folder named "root folder" and in there i can see these options........open file manager ......open terminal...........auto..........cdrom...........hd........test.......and in the HD folder these are the only options........"open in file manager"........"open terminal".....thats it......but not sure what all tht means...unless its the wrong folder.

14. argenys

argenys Thread Starter

i searched throguh this file and could not find any of the options you mentioned dh, hda1 ect.......

15. Claymore

Claymore

mnt is a folder for installed media drives - hard drives, CD drives, flash drives.
    Inside this folder you would normally see:
    CDROM1 {this is the CD drive}
    hda1 { this is hard drive 'a' , partition '1'}
    sda1 {this is a flash drive, if one is attached}

If the first hard drive (a) has two partitions, you would see something like:
    hda1
    hda2

Double-click on the hd? folders to see if the hard drive is recognized.
    If there are no hd? folders in mnt, then the hard drive isn't recognized.

You see, it's possible to run a Live Linux CD with no hard drive at all. If the Ubuntu wouldn't install it may be that Linux doesn't recognize the hard drive, and we're back to the beginning. If you can borrow another hard drive as a test, that would help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice