1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with .txt files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by In_Need, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. In_Need

In_Need Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

I am currently having a problem with my laptop. My disc drive will not read any .txt or .doc files of any kind. However, any other type of files can be read without any issues. Could this be a hardware failure or is it another issue? Any help or suggestions given are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What program is associated with those file types.

Another way to go would be to start notepad, then open a .txt file.

Do you have Word installed for the .doc files?
    If so do the same, start Word and then open a .doc file

3. Hughv

Hughv

You may not have a file association for these files.
    File association tells the computer which program to use for a specific file type.
    Right-click one of these files.
    Choose "Open With".
    Select a program like Word, Notepad or Word Pad.

4. In_Need

In_Need Thread Starter

I am terribly sorry, but after reviewing my post I realize I have not been specific enough. The issue is that the disc(s) that I am trying to access have nothing but .txt and .doc files on them. When I put the disc in the drive it is not even registered as being present. However, any other discs will be registered as being there. That is the heart of my issue.

Bob and Hughv - Thanks for your advice and sorry for the misunderstanding.

5. Hughv

Hughv

This sounds more like a problem with the disk than a problem with .txt files.
    Try cleaning it, or opening it on another computer.
    Has this disk worked in the past?
    Did you create the disk, or did someone else?
    In My Computer, right-click the drive and select "Explore".

6. In_Need

In_Need Thread Starter

The disc was created on this computer and has been read on this same computer in the past. It will read on other computers but not on my computer. Whenever the D drive is selected it will say it is not accessible, left or right clicked.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Then it is certainly a problem with the disk and/or your disk drive, nothing whatever to do with the files on the disk itself. If the disk is not recognised, no file can ever be seen.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since it works on other computers and files can be seen there, I would at least first backup all the files on that drive to another computer. At least you will have your files copied somewhere then.

If it is a USB drive, do any USB drives work on your computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice